Attaching an hvd10 to a 12h (198 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Joe S_1
Message 1 of 3 (198 Views)
Accepted Solution

Attaching an hvd10 to a 12h

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but I have inherited an HP e3000 N-Class (MPE 7.0 pp1 getting ready to update to pp3) and have pretty much been hacking my way through it for the past 5 years.

We have recently purchased a 12h (2 controllers, 6 x 18 GB hard drives) to replace our hvd10. I believe I've got a pretty good handle on setting that up, but the question is can the hvd10 be attached to the 12h?

We currently have 2 SCSI controller cards connected to the hvd10 to access the disks in both the odd and even slots (4 x 18 GB drives). These cables will be moved over and attached to the X and Y controllers in the 12h. Could I then attach the hvd10 to the second connectors for the X and Y controllers in the 12h to access the hvd10 drives from the N-Class?

I'm not necessarily concerned with being able to mirror the hvd10 drives, it just needs to stay JBOD as I'm planning on making it a user set to store non-critical data, but it would be handy to make sure I keep the 12h below the magic 50% capacity for perfomance purposes.

Thanks in advance for any info,

Joe
Honored Contributor
Kwan Fong, Emile
Message 2 of 3 (198 Views)

Re: Attaching an hvd10 to a 12h

Hello Joe,

You cannot "daisy chain" the HVD10 to the 12H.

Keeping the 12H unassigned spaces below 50% will have the 12H to run with RAID 1 (mirror) which is best suited for performance.
King is the customer!
Occasional Visitor
Joe S_1
Message 3 of 3 (198 Views)

Re: Attaching an hvd10 to a 12h

Thanks Emile,

I have a fair amount of data that doesn't need to be kept on disk, it is just handier to have it more readily accessible. It can be archived off fairly easily though and I can stay under the 50%. It's always nice to have a little more breathing room though. Perhaps I can talk our money people into allowing me to buy a couple more drives. :)

Thanks again,

Joe
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.