Unable to connect to Oracle databases using ADO within UFT 11.5 [Error 80004005] (3272 Views)
Visitor
nebofever
Message 1 of 5 (3,272 Views)

Unable to connect to Oracle databases using ADO within UFT 11.5 [Error 80004005]

I was recently assigned a new desktop machine [Windows 7 x64] and took this as an opportunity to upgrade from QTP 11.0 to UFT 11.5.  I have common database connection code that I use to connect to several different RDBMs, and after switching to UFT 11.5, this code no longer works for oracle connections within UFT.   I have confirmed that the same code works fine for DB2 and SQLServer connections (when used with the appropriate connection strings).

I have installed the Oracle 11g 32-bit ODAC, and the exact same code works just fine when I run it using the 32-bit version of cscript from the command line.  It only fails when the script is being executed by UFT.

I have tried reinstalling the oracle driver, reinstalling UFT, granting full permissions for all users on the oracle_home folder, and I can't seem to get the oracle driver to work within UFT.

The code uses a TNS-less connection string (example below), but I even tried setting up a 32-bit system DSN and connecting using that.  I get the same results (works from CMD line, fails in UFT).

strConnString = "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=" &_
				strServer & ")(PORT=" & strPort & ")))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=" & strDataSource & ")(SERVER=DEDICATED)));User Id=" &_
				strUserId & ";Password=" & strPassword

Here are the error details:

ERROR: Error Occurred!
Number (dec) : -2147467259
Number (hex) : 80004005
Description : Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 1114: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed. (Oracle in OraClient11g_home32, c:\oracle\product\11.2.0\client_32\SQORA32.DLL).
Source : Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers

Note:  The oracle_home path shown above is correct, and I have granted all permissions to the oracle_home folder.

Here is my code (though I think this is more of a setup/config issue):

'*********
'** Author:      Jason Self
'** Date:        30 March 2012
'** Description: Connect to a database using a connection string
'**
'** Parameters:
'**   strConnectionString - Connection String used to identify the DB
'**   						Samples: http://www.connectionstrings.com/
'**
'** Returns: Object - the database connection object
'*********
Public Function ConnectToDatabase(strConnectionString)

Dim objConn

'Create ADO objects
	Set objConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

objConn.Open strConnectionString

Set ConnectToDatabase = objConn

End Function

'*********
'** Author:      Jason Self
'** Date:        30 March 2012
'** Description: Check a database connection
'**
'** Parameters:
'**   strConnectionString - Connection String used to identify the DB
'**   						Samples: http://www.connectionstrings.com/
'**
'** Returns: Boolean - Whether or not the connection was successful
'*********
Public Function CheckDBConnection(strConnectionString)

On Error Resume Next
	ConnectToDatabase strConnectionString
	If Err.Number <> 0 Then
		DisplayCustomError "Error Occurred!"
		CheckDBConnection = False
	Else
		CheckDBConnection = True
	End If

Err.clear

End Function

Has anyone else seen this issue?  Any ideas for how I can get around it?

Thanks!

Established Member
S_ware
Message 2 of 5 (3,184 Views)

Re: Unable to connect to Oracle databases using ADO within UFT 11.5 [Error 80004005]

I've had a similar problem using the MS for Oracle ODBC driver that comes with Windows 7. I installed the latest Oracle Drivers for my 11g DB and then used http://www.connectionstrings.com/oracle-provider-for-ole-db-oraoledb/standard-security/ instead. Be sure to get the latest. I had an earlier version of the Oracle drivers and still had a problem untill I installed the latest version.

Visitor
nebofever
Message 3 of 5 (3,178 Views)

Re: Unable to connect to Oracle databases using ADO within UFT 11.5 [Error 80004005]

Thanks for the reply.  I finally got it to work with the following procedure:

1. I uninstalled all oracle drivers I had installed previously
  2. Rebooted my machine
  3. Downloaded the 64-bit and 32-bit Oracle 12c client install packages– look for the section near the bottom labeled Oracle Database 12c Release 1 Client (12.1.0.1.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64 and 32-bit)
  4. Installed 64-bit client first [installed to C:\oracle\product\12.1.0\client_64]
  5. Rebooted my machine [Note:  I tried installing the 32-bit version immediately afterward, but I got a weird installer error.  It worked fine after the reboot.]
  6. Installed 32-bit client [installed to C:\oracle\product\12.1.0\client_32]
  7. Rebooted again (because Windows)

I don't know what the magic sauce was here - maybe installing the full client instead of just the ODAC package did the trick.

Advisor
Jeremy Corey
Message 4 of 5 (1,237 Views)

Can you please provide the connection string you are using?  Thanks!

Visitor
nebofever
Message 5 of 5 (1,231 Views)

The connection string format is shown in the original post.  Here it is again, though...

Sample:

Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=hostname)(PORT=port)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=sid)(SERVER=DEDICATED)));User Id=user;Password=password

Code:

strConnString = "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(" &_ 
"ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=" & strServer &_
")(PORT=" & strPort & ")))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=" &_
strDataSource & ")(SERVER=DEDICATED)));User Id=" &_
strUserId & ";Password=" & strPassword
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.