Re: Solution to use QTP11 to automate application hosted on Citrix server (458 Views)
Advisor
DeepaA
Message 1 of 7 (493 Views)

Solution to use QTP11 to automate application hosted on Citrix server

Hi All,

I have an application hosted on Citrix, which is accessed through the Citrix URL.

Please advise the best method to automate this application using QTP 11.

I could think of an option, not sure whether this would help:

* Host QTP also on the same Citrix server (as that of application) and try to automate

As this involves multiple teams to setup, wanted to get a confirmation whether this would help, before actually hosting QTP on Citrix. Please help.

Thanks,

Deepa

Esteemed Contributor
William Schmitt
Message 2 of 7 (475 Views)

Re: Solution to use QTP11 to automate application hosted on Citrix server

Check out KM177434.  It explains all.

Advisor
DeepaA
Message 3 of 7 (466 Views)

Thanks William.

I am unable to access the KM article. Could you please let me know whether the option of hosting QTP also to citrix server would work.

Got one more followup question. Will QTP help to automate Thinapp applications. Are there any challenges? Is thinapp also similar to citrix? Please advise.

Esteemed Contributor
William Schmitt
Message 4 of 7 (464 Views)

Yes, it basically works as you suspect - QTP must be installed on the Citrix server and it must run in the same session as the AUT.

I am not familiar with thinapp.

HP Expert
vzamoraz
Message 5 of 7 (458 Views)

Exactly as William mention ,

just to add some additional details:

-If you will use VPN to get a connection on the Citrix enviroment you can't use NAT on the VPN conection and you have to use the port 5093 bidirectional
-Also you have to install the license server software in a physical machine (diferent of the citrix server) because QTP only works with concurrent license under Citrix enviroments
-Also If you are using Citrix session to run a test or component, do not minimize the session window, and make sure that the computer on which the application is being tested is not logged off or locked.

Regards.

Advisor
DeepaA
Message 6 of 7 (429 Views)

Thanks William and vzamoraz..

Can someone throw light on the Thinapp as well?

Looks like VMware Thinapp is similar to Citrix Xenapp and differs in the application packaging only.

If there is some chance of using QTP to automate it, I can ask for installation of QTP in the same server and test a trial.

HP Expert
DDM_Automation
Message 7 of 7 (422 Views)

Hi Deepa ,

To answer your question , QTP/UFT doesn't support ThinApp applications ( any applications packaged as ThinApp and run ) .

ThinApp is a application packaging technology. So to add more information , ThinApp can be used to package even QTP/UFT itself.

So neither packaging QTP/UFT as ThinApp is supported , nor automating applications which are packaged and run as ThinApp are supported.

There are Enhacement requests already in place to support ThinApp and HP RnD is working on it.

Regards,

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at :

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/News/Support-Customer-Forums-now-available/m-p/5610181/message-uid/5610...

HP support Engineers will be available to answer queries.

[If this post or any other post helps to resolve your issue or query, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance. ]

( Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer HP in any way . )
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.