Re: QTP & Agile -- Gherkin (576 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jesse Fair
Message 1 of 3 (939 Views)

QTP & Agile -- Gherkin

Just wondering if anyone has seen a way to interpret Gherkin with QTP? Our team is transitioning to Agile and we have a pretty good investment already invested into QTP automaton ... I have been doing a POC with Gherkin and Cucumber with Ruby on Rails. Its going great so far and working well for one team .... an across the board transition to Cucumber and Gherkin is not likely for teams that have already been leveraging QTP but I do see a benefit of using Gherkin with QTP. I have been poking around the net for a while to see if anyone has made any progress with that marriage but no luck. What I'm looking for is a QTP equivalent of Cucumber which is the Gherkin interpreter of human like verbiage. Any thoughts?

Regular Visitor
chdavi
Message 2 of 3 (900 Views)

Re: QTP & Agile -- Gherkin

I have been working on something similar to it, but not using human readable format like Gherkin.  We have a database that has steps in the form of [object] [operation] [data]. 

I think it might be doable.  The main question is do you want to parse through vbscript or use the dotnet integration.  I think parsing might be better in .net, return the parse trees and then loop though your steps.

Occasional Visitor
AutomatedChaos
Message 3 of 3 (576 Views)

Re: QTP & Agile -- Gherkin

Yes, it is possible to use Gherkin Language with QTP; I have uploaded a techdemo on my GitHub location. It is limited to the use of Given, When, Then, And and Scenario and you can also use parameters in Gherkin phrases (no tables yet). Feel free to expand.

https://github.com/Autom8edChaos/QtpGherkin

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.