Re: QTP/UFT11, VMWare Virtual Desktop, Windows7 and java-based application compatibility issue ? (1205 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Budcee
Message 1 of 8 (1,552 Views)

QTP/UFT11, VMWare Virtual Desktop, Windows7 and java-based application compatibility issue ?

Hello,

Our institution uses QTP/UFT11 on 32-bit XP SP3 desktops, and the setup has served us well. We are upgrading to Windows7 VDI (using VMWare vSphere5) with java 6 (update27). We have installed all available patches (except those specific to BPT and Chrome). The problem is, if we use QTP with java-based application on the Windows7 Virtual Desktop, ObjectSpy can not drill down into the individual fields in a java form. As one hovers the finger pointer in and around the java window, it will only identify the entire window as 'Window', and can not identify the objects (such as the fields or links) within it. We have tried using both the 32-bit Windows7 and 64-bit Windows7 OS, but they both exhibit the same problem.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have been googling around for any QTP compatibility with such workstation setup?

Thanks for any advice.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Ryoganat1
Message 2 of 8 (1,507 Views)

Re: QTP/UFT11, VMWare Virtual Desktop, Windows7 and java-based application compatibility issue ?

1. Did you record any steps? If yes, What is the recorded steps?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MisterT1968
Message 3 of 8 (1,499 Views)

Re: QTP/UFT11, VMWare Virtual Desktop, Windows7 and java-based application compatibility issue ?

Dear Budcee,

How are you? I hope you are fine :)

Unfortunately, running QTP/UFT in  VMWare vSphere is not supported. Only the environments listed in the Product Availability Matrix (PAM) are supported. Therefore, recording and replay will not work as expected in VMWare vSphere.

Please note, that also UFT 11.5x does not support this Cloud solution.

If you like to raise an Enhancement Request, please open a support case with Functional Testing Support at http://support.openview.hp.com

Best regards,

Tino Pacholski

Functional Testing Support Engineer

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Budcee
Message 4 of 8 (1,451 Views)

Hi Tino, Thank you for the information. I have speculated that the virtualization layer may play a part. I have also tried on a physical workstation with Windows7 x64 as well. So we'll try with Windows7 x86 OS to determine if the setup works.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Budcee
Message 5 of 8 (1,450 Views)

no we did not recor anything. what we did was simply launch QTP, then launch a java app. We then used the ObjectSpy to look at the username, password, etc. fields in the login window, and ObjectSpy could only identify the window, but not the fields in the window. On our physical XP 32-bit, this exercise is always successfully done.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
BillUp
Message 6 of 8 (1,211 Views)

Hello, since QTP is not support on vSphere, does anyone have any recomendations for alternative tools that do work with VMware (View, etc.)?

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
DDM_Automation
Message 7 of 8 (1,205 Views)

Hello ,

Please see below screenshot from QTP 11 PAM related to support for virtualization environments.

The ones listed here are supported.

PAM.jpg

Regards,

[If this post or any other post helps to resolve your issue or query, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance. ]

( Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer HP in any way . )
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ABorgström
Message 8 of 8 (995 Views)

Hi, I had the same problem and searched a lot for an answer. Especially for a vSphere client alternative since it was mentioned as the culprit in an earlier post.

Finally I found this complete support matrix (http://www.learnqtp.com/complete-support-matrix/) and this article describing ESXi, vSphere and more (http://www.mustbegeek.com/difference-between-vsphere-esxi-and-vcenter/). 

And from these I could find no real reason why it shouldn't work. I also had a hard time finding a vSphere alternative.

So, what to one do when softwares don't work... Reinstall, and voila now it works :-)

Possible reasons to why it started to work: The reinstallation on the virtual machine, We upgraded from QTP 11.0 to UFT 11.5, The QTP installation was done on a PC that was transformed into a virtual machine, Luck...

Our setup that works with vSphere is UFT 11.5 on ESXi 4.1 in vCenter Server 5.0. We connect to this using vSphere Client 5.0.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation