Re: QTP - Client can't connect to Concurrent License server (9507 Views)
Advisor
Janakiram Mallapally
Message 1 of 24 (14,721 Views)

QTP - Client can't connect to Concurrent License server

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I can't connect the client machine to license server. I installed concurrent license key on server. I opened UDP 5093 port. For test I even I connected the client machine to server network (no firewall in between). I can ping from client to server but I can't connect to sever. I tried all options. I contacted the HP support and WebEx with the support but they could not figure it out. I contacted our network admin and look fine from our network side.
Does anyone have same issues? Anyone know what could be the problem? Please help.

Thanks,
Ram.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Quality Center Support and News Forum to Unified Functional Testing (formerly QTP) News and Support Forum.
-HP Forum Moderator

Honored Contributor
john scarpino
Message 2 of 24 (14,721 Views)

Re: QTP - Client can't connect to Concurrent License server

Ram:

Chedck your Environmental Variables that they are correct for the license server.

Steps to change the QTP license server:
1. Start > Settings > Control Panel > System
2. Advanced Tab
3. Select the Environmental Variables button
4. Change the LSHost to
5. If you have the LSforstHost change to
Advisor
Janakiram Mallapally
Message 3 of 24 (14,721 Views)

John,

Thanks for reply.
I have set the LSHost to
and also LSFORCEHOST set to

Thanks,
Ram.
Honored Contributor
john scarpino
Message 4 of 24 (14,721 Views)

Ram:

Are you trying to open it outside of Quality Center or within it/from it?
Advisor
Janakiram Mallapally
Message 5 of 24 (14,721 Views)

Outside of QC. The check connection test within QTP fails.

Thanks,
Ram.
Honored Contributor
john scarpino
Message 6 of 24 (14,721 Views)

Did you upgrade QTP license server? Is all of the other computers that are connecting running the same software as you? Are they also on the same subnet of the network?
Advisor
Janakiram Mallapally
Message 7 of 24 (14,721 Views)

John,

This is the first time we installed the QTP. So have QTP 9.2 and LM 8.0.2. We never successfully connected to sever.
No we are not on same subnet. But for testing our network admin connect my client machine directly to server network, still couldn't connect the server. Our network admin says as the server is receiving large amount of data, so the data is being fragmented into different files.

Thanks,
Ram.
Honored Contributor
SreeKrishnan
Message 8 of 24 (14,721 Views)

did you check to see if the License Manager Service is running on the server

Start/Settings/ControlPanel/Services. Look for Sentinel LM and start
Honored Contributor
john scarpino
Message 9 of 24 (14,721 Views)

Sree I was going to say the same thing!
Honored Contributor
SreeKrishnan
Message 10 of 24 (14,721 Views)

Ram,

Take a look at the License Manager Intsall guide. The Pages 32 and 33 have some trouble shooting tips.
Advisor
Janakiram Mallapally
Message 11 of 24 (14,717 Views)

LM is running and I restarted too.

Thanks,
Ram.
Honored Contributor
john scarpino
Message 12 of 24 (14,717 Views)

What is your error that you are receiving?

Example

Output like the following indicates that the license manager is not running:

Error getting status: Cannot find license
file (-1,359:2 "No such file or directory")
Honored Contributor
john scarpino
Message 13 of 24 (14,717 Views)

Are you running the most up to date LM for QTP 9.2?
Honored Contributor
Cody Marcel
Message 14 of 24 (14,717 Views)

Here is a couple more things you can check.

Use the fully qualified hostname ot the LS and not just the hostname. This has caused problems for me in the past. You can get the full host name with nslookup command.

P:\>nslookup machinehostname
Server: machinehostname.something.domain.net
Address: 1.2.3.4

Name: machinehostname.something.domain.net
Address: 1.2.3.4

Also check to make sure on the LS that the License Key is actually there. You can get connetion issues if the LS keys are not set up properly.
Advisor
Janakiram Mallapally
Message 15 of 24 (14,717 Views)

I am getting "license server host is not found on the network".

I am using latest version of LM .
Advisor
Janakiram Mallapally
Message 16 of 24 (14,717 Views)

Cody,
Thanks for you reply.
I used fully qualified hostname. But couldn't connect to server. And also I tried with IP address too.
When I did nslookup I got my server name different than host name.
The key should be fine too because I installed the client on the server and client can be opened without any issues.
Honored Contributor
SreeKrishnan
Message 17 of 24 (14,717 Views)

This is interesting. Did you try to uninstall QTP on the client machine and reinstall and select the concurrent License key option. Just make sure that the LSERVRC file is located on your client machine and the environment variable LSERVRC points to the correct location
Advisor
Janakiram Mallapally
Message 18 of 24 (14,717 Views)

I ran lswhere.exe file on client machine. I got following error.
" Error[17]: Probably no servers are running on this subnet."
Advisor
Janakiram Mallapally
Message 19 of 24 (14,717 Views)

I didn't uninstalled on my machine but I freshly installed (no previous version of QTP exists) on different machine and seeing same issue.
Honored Contributor
SreeKrishnan
Message 20 of 24 (14,717 Views)

Ram, refer the technical document id 22800 on the self solve section of the support site

Technical document information

Title: Error: "There is no QuickTest Professional license server available on..."
Document ID: 22800
Product: QuickTest Professional
Version:
Updated: 2003-Feb-12

When the user starts QuickTest Professional, he receives the following error:
"License Error:
There is no QuickTest Professional license server available on the network, or the license server is already being used by the maximum number of users.

For more information about installing a license server and floating license on your network, please refer to the QuickTest Professional Installation Guide.

Click Retry to try again to connect to a license server.
Click Cancel to abort"

Diagnosis: This error can be caused by the following:
1. The QuickTest Professional client machine is configured to use a seat license, not a concurrent license.
2. There isn't a network connection between the QuickTest Professional client machine and the license server machine.
3. The LSHOST or LSFORCEHOST variables are not set.
4. The LSERVRC system variable is set on the client machine.
5. The license server is not running.
6. Licenses are not installed on the license server.
7. The license key file (lservrc) cannot be found on the server.
8. The license key does not match the license server locking code.
9. The client machine cannot see the license keys on the server machine.
10. Client machine connects through VPN software.
11. The license server believes all available licenses are in use.
12. Two (or more) versions of the license server are running.

Solution

Troubleshooting the "No license server available" error
Note:
You can find a video demonstrating the steps detailed in this article at the following location: License Not Found video

Checking one or more of the following should resolve the error:

The client machine is configured to use a seat license
For information on how to check and modify the license configuration, refer to Document ID 18396 - How to switch between a seat (local) and a concurrent (floating) license.

There is no network connection between the client and server machines
You can check the network connection between the client and server machines by pinging the license server machine in a command prompt window.

Example:
c:\ ping

If you see no replies from the ping or if you see time-outs in the replies, then there is a network problem. Notify your Network/Computer Administrator of the problem.

The LSHOST or LSFORCEHOST variables are not set
For information on how to check and set the LSHOST or LSFORCEHOST variable, refer to Document ID 18406 - How to set the LSHOST or LSFORCEHOST system variable.

The LSERVRC system variable is set on the client machine
The LSERVRC variable is used for seat licenses and may have been created for the demo license when you installed QuickTest Professional. If the variable exists, it needs to be removed so it does not interfere with locating the license server.

1. Right-click on "My Computer."
2. Choose Properties.
3. Select the Advanced tab.
4. Click .
5. Check the System Variables list for the LSERVRC variable. If it exists, click .
6. Click to close the windows.
7. Reboot the client machine so the changes can take effect.

The license server is not running.
Start or restart the license server service.

1. Open the Control Panel (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel).
2. Double-click on Services.

Note:
On some operating systems, such as Windows 2000, the Services utility is located in the Administrative Tools section (folder) of the Control Panel.

3. Find the SentinelLM service.
4. Click (or ) or right-click and choose "Start" (or "Restart").

Licenses are not installed on the license server
Use the WLMadmin utility to check the licenses on the license server. For more information on the WLMadmin utility, refer to Document ID 36291 - What is the WLMadmin application and how is it used.

1. Launch the WLMadmin utility.
2. Enter the license server name as a defined server.
3. Try to expand the the license server branch.

If no license key information is displayed, then the installed licenses are invalid or the license key file (lservrc) cannot be found. If license key information is displayed, then the installed licenses are valid. You can check whether the licenses are all in use by selecting a license and checking the Statistics pane in the WLMadmin utility.

The license key file (lservrc) cannot be found on the server.
The lservrc file should be located in the following directory:

\Program Files\Rainbow Technologies\SentinelLM Server\English

If the file is not there, the license server will not be able to locate licenses. Search the license server machine for the file. If found, move the file to the expected directory and restart the SentinelLM service. If the file is not found, licenses are not installed. For information on installing licenses, refer to Document ID 18398 - How to install QuickTest Professional licenses.

The license key does not match the license server locking code.
Use the lsdecode.exe utility to check the locking code for a license key.

1. Copy the lsdecode.exe utility from the Functional Testing Concurrent License Server CD (in the "utils" folder) to the location of the lservrc file (\Program Files\Rainbow Technologies\SentinelLM Server\English)
2. Run the lsdecode.exe utility. A command prompt window will open with the decoded key information.

The locking code for the license key is displayed on the "Server locking code" line.

3. Run the inst_key.exe utility from the Functional Testing Concurrent License Server CD (in the "Key Installation" folder).

The license server machines locking code will be displayed on the Welcome screen.

Note:
This needs to be done on the actual license server machine. Accessing the license server machine remotely can generate an invalid license code.

4. Compare the locking code from the license key and from the server machine.

If the locking codes do not match, you will need to determine why the locking code has changed. Reinstalling the operating system, renaming the machine, using a dynamic IP address, retrieving the locking code through a terminal session, or installing the license keys through a terminal session can cause the locking code to be changed and the license keys to become invalid.

Once you have determined why the locking code has changed, you can submit a License Request to have a new license key generated.

The client machine cannot see the license keys on the server machine
Use the WLMadmin utility to check the licenses on the client machine. For more information on the WLMadmin utility, refer to Document ID 36291 - What is the WLMadmin application and how is it used.

1. Launch the WLMadmin utility.
2. Enter the license server name as a defined server.
3. Try to expand the the license server branch.

If license keys are not seen, then either UDP Port 5093 is blocked somewhere between the client and server or the IP address of the license server is using Network Address Translation (NAT), which is not supported. Contact your Computer/Network Administrator to determine if the port is blocked or if the license server machine is using a NAT IP address.

For more information on UDP Port 5093, refer to Document ID 18402 - What is port 5093 in the license mechanism used for, Document ID 41449 - Does UDP port 5093 need to be bi-directional, and Document ID 18424 - How to set up the License Manager for machines running on different subnets.

Client machine connects through VPN software
If the client machine is connecting through VPN software, verify that VPN has not been configured to use "IPSec over UDP". This configures the network to use NAT, which is not supported.

The license server believes all available licenses are in use
If all licenses are in use, the License Server Manager will not be able to issue another license until a license is released. You can use the WLMAdmin utility to determine which users are currently using the licenses. For more information, refer to Document ID 39944 - How to determine who is currently using the concurrent licenses.

There may be cases where QuickTest Professional closes unexpectedly and does not release the license automatically. If this happens, you can wait for the license to time out or restart the license server. For more information, refer to Document ID 18428 - What happens if AQT/QTP crashes on a client machine while using a Floating license.

Two (or more) versions of the license server are running
Only one version of the license server should be installed and running on the same machine. If there are more versions, uninstall all of the license server instances (using Add/Remove Programs). Install the latest version of the license server software. Reinstall the license code keys.

Advisor
Janakiram Mallapally
Message 21 of 24 (14,712 Views)

SreeKrishnan,

I checked all the items specified, I don't see any issues with any of those.
Honored Contributor
Rhonda Robinson
Message 22 of 24 (14,712 Views)

We have found that if you have a large network, the "looking for license" process sometimes times out before the license server is located. To overcome this, we use the actual IP address of the license server rather than the assigned DNS name.

You may try this method.
Advisor
Janakiram Mallapally
Message 23 of 24 (14,712 Views)

Thanks everyone for your support. We are able to resolve this. Symantec Protection Agent software is blocking the port 5093 on client machine. Once I disabled the software I was able to connect.

Thanks,
ram.
Occasional Advisor
SumitRR
Message 24 of 24 (9,507 Views)

Thanks Rhonda, I was having the same issue when I tried to connect Concurrent License server with DNS name, when I used the IP Address for this server, I wab able to get connected to Concurrent License server.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.