Re: QTP 11 supports running tests on on Minimized RDP(Remote Desktop) Session Windows (2814 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Sasha_1
Message 1 of 17 (6,873 Views)

QTP 11 supports running tests on on Minimized RDP(Remote Desktop) Session Windows

Hi .

Just in case your're looking for that feature -  now it's available  :

If you want to run QuickTest in a minimized RDP (remote desktop protocol) session, and you are using an RDP 6.0 or later client, you can enable it by setting a registry value on the remote computer:

1. If it does not exist, create the RemoteDesktop_SuppressWhenMinimized registry value (DWORD type) in one of the following registry paths on the remote computer:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\RemoteDesktop_SuppressWhenMinimized

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\RemoteDesktop_SuppressWhenMinimized

Note that  it does not refer to  locked or logged off  computers 

Regards,

Sasha

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Vinay84
Message 2 of 17 (6,567 Views)

Re: QTP 11 supports running tests on on Minimized RDP(Remote Desktop) Session Windows

Hi Sasha

Thanks A lot for the info
I did all the registry settings in the remote server ,
But am not able to record it.
I have QTP installed in my mavhine ,where as the AUT is present on the remote server
Please help me providing the sample script to connect to the RDP
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Sasha_1
Message 3 of 17 (6,560 Views)

Re: QTP 11 supports running tests on on Minimized RDP(Remote Desktop) Session Windows

Hi Vinay.

QTP and AUT should be installed on the same computer.

Regards,

Sasha

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Vinay84
Message 4 of 17 (6,542 Views)

Sasha_1 wrote:

Hi Vinay.

QTP and AUT should be installed on the same computer.

Regards,

Sasha

HI Sasha

Thanks For the replay

But what is this new feature of minimised RDP session, What i understand is if the QTP is placed locally and AUT is placed on another machine we can access this application locally ,

Can you please brief me on minimsed RDP session

Thanks

Vinay

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Sasha_1
Message 5 of 17 (6,526 Views)

It's related to the situation where :

a) QTP and AUT are running on same computer(Computer A)

b) You connect from another computer (Computer B) to Computer A

c) You minimize RDP Window on Computer B

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
sanjayrjain
Message 6 of 17 (6,471 Views)

Hi ,

I tried in the below way,

1) Made all the configuration changes on the remote machine where QTP 11 & AUT ( Is a Web based) are present.

2) I have a command/bat file which is scheduled.

If the remote session is closed or minimized, the execution run fails. 

Any idea why this didn't worked  or any solution to over come this?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Vinay84
Message 7 of 17 (6,397 Views)

Hi Sasha

Thanks again for your valuable answer,

Just a small query Assuming we have AUT and QTP placed in machine1, cant we execute these scripts from remote machine2(QTP is not installed) using VB Scripts with COM and DCOM settings.

Please clarify on this, if possible please let me the process how can we access it.

Thanks
Vinay
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
DineshRobinson
Message 8 of 17 (6,394 Views)

Vinay -
From you vbscript you need to let know the remote machine name
Set qtApp = CreateObject("QuickTest.Application", "<MyServer>")

You will now be able to trigger execution in your remote machine.
The solution you are looking for is available in QTP Help.

Quicktest Professional Help -> Contents -> HP QuickTest Professional Advanced Reference -> HP QuickTest Professional Automation Object Model -> Introduction -> How to Run Automation Scripts on a Remote Computer .

Please refer to that, you will get your answer.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
sameswark
Message 9 of 17 (6,156 Views)

Hi sas,

I did the changes according in my Remote machine but still i am facing the same problem.

Please reply.

Thanks,

sam

Please use plain text.
Visitor
sameswark
Message 10 of 17 (6,133 Views)

Hi Sasha,

I did the changes accordingly but when I minimized the RDP while    execution ,it gets  stuck when any Pop up comes from application.Please Help me out.

Thanks,

Sam

Please use plain text.
ITT_tester
Message 11 of 17 (5,492 Views)

I did the change accordingly but still failing on pop-up messages box
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Ryoganat1
Message 12 of 17 (5,463 Views)

Yes, Popup will not be handled when Remote session is minimized. Some time this may occur. 

Possible approach could be

1. Use Mercury Device Replay to Click button.

2. Try with Shell object sendkey option.

3. Use PostMessage API call using Extren.Declare keyword

4. Use any of VNC Client in the machine, that you need monitor.

Hope your issue will be resolved any of the above,

Thanks,

Ram

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
aros
Message 13 of 17 (5,423 Views)

Hi,

In order to solve this issue please follow step by step all that is described is KB article on the client computer (machine that launch the Remote Desktop client):

How to make Quicktest Professional (QTP) 11.0 replay well on Remote Desktop (RDP) when the window is minimized?

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1166732

Please mark as solved once that this solve the issue.

Kindly,

Aileen

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Blackvals
Message 14 of 17 (4,778 Views)

As that wasn't clear enough for to understand which machine was the one whose register needed to be modified, I'll say that is the one that connects to the remote, not the remote one.

Local ---RDP---> Host

Now the only (equally big) problem is the locking.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
shhmichelle
Message 15 of 17 (2,814 Views)

My Remote Machine with Win2008 Server OS, can not find *Terminal Server Client* (I just can find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft), what shall i do? 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
BPatil
Message 16 of 17 (1,735 Views)

Hi,

I did below configuration as suggested and restarted the system.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\RemoteDesktop_SuppressWhenMinimized

when i run QTP Scripts its not recogninsing Web Dialogs displayed in the application. Our application is Web application 

Example : In our application when click on Save ,we display Confirmation popup to confirm changes with OK or Cancel button ,but QTP not recognsing this popup and not clicking on Ok button. QTP just hangs,it even never proceed further.

Please let us know your suggestion on this.

Thanks & Regards

Patil

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Raj_Raj
Message 17 of 17 (1,716 Views)

Make sure you do the following:

The registry changes are to be made on the Local Computer & not on the Remote Computer.

In addition to creating the DWord "RemoteDesktop_SuppressWhenMinimized", set the value to '2'.

Note that this isn't a QTP/UFT feature but of Microsoft RDP Client.  When the remote desktop is minimized, the operating system switches the remote session to the GUI-less mode and does not display windows and controls.

Because of that QTP/UFT is unable to get hold of the window/control & interact with it. The new version of RDP along with these registry tweaks fixes this limitation.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation