Re: QTP 11 Eval Version(30 days) Installation Issue, other QTP license issues (7514 Views)
Occasional Advisor
sushilsahu
Message 1 of 8 (7,575 Views)

QTP 11 Eval Version(30 days) Installation Issue, other QTP license issues

Hi,

By mistake we have installed QTP 11 Eval version with 'concurrent license' selected as license type (as per the engg. he didn't receive the licennse type window; we are installing this on citrix). Now when we open QTP it gives license server error as exepceted and asks for license server name.

We tried to repair this installation so that we can change license type to 'trial or eval' but didn't get such option.

1.How can we solve this problem? and if not then what could be the next step to do this installation at same m/c?

2.Is there any way apart from formatting of m/c to install QTP trial version on same m/c where one version of QTP trial was already installed and expired?

3.Where can we get m/c locking code when QTP got installed and how it can be removed?

4.In case of m/c crash how could we use QTP seat license?

5.We have a m/c with QTP seat license installed in Australia. What are the possible ways to use that license from India-

a)remote access to that m/c-> will it affect performance and if yes then till what extent?

b)convert seat license into global license-> what would be the additional cost?

c)others

Waiting for a response ASAP.

Thanks

Sushil

Regular Advisor
mohsenfi
Message 2 of 8 (7,574 Views)

Re: QTP 11 Eval Version(30 days) Installation Issue, other QTP license issues

Maybe an evaluation version of QTP had been install on the same computer and already expired. If that is the case, uninstalling and reinstalling the evaluation version will not give you the possibility of using evaluation version license!

You can easily contact HP support to extend the evaluation version. They will ask for the machine code and provide you with and extended evaluation license.  

Occasional Advisor
sushilsahu
Message 3 of 8 (7,572 Views)

That is not the case, thanks mohsenfi
Occasional Advisor
sushilsahu
Message 4 of 8 (7,543 Views)

Please help in this regard.

Occasional Advisor
sushilsahu
Message 5 of 8 (7,528 Views)

I was thinking I'll get answers here

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 6 of 8 (7,523 Views)

According to the QTP Installation Guide

Chapter 2 - Setting Up QuickTest Professional, pg 18

Setting Up QuickTest Professional with a Seat License

This section summarizes the procedure for setting up QuickTest Professional with a seat license. A seat license is a permanent license that is specific to the computer on which it is installed. The seat license includes a 30-day demo period, during which you may use all of the available QuickTest features, including Unified Functional Testing.  Before the demo period ends, you must contact HP to obtain a permanent seat license. key

Note:

- If you want to run QuickTest using the demo license, do not run the License Installation wizard.  The first time you open QuickTest, you are notified that the demo period started.

-  Seat licenses are not available for operating systems that have session capabilities, for example, Windows servers or Citrix.

So, you will not be able to use QTP in a trial mode installed on a Citrix system.  If you want to use the trial version you will have to install the product on a non-server, non-citrix system.

I have not seen anything in the documentation about Ctrix other than that.  I suggest that you contact HP support directly.  My suspicion is that the installation detects that QTP is being installed on Citrix and assumes that the Citrix server itself will be the license server.  Subsequently, you would need to install the Concurrent License Server software (available from the QTP DVD) onto the Citrix system also.  Regardless, with concurrent license configurations there is no trial perios.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Occasional Advisor
sushilsahu
Message 7 of 8 (7,521 Views)

Thanks so much for the information.

Any idea about the other queries?

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 8 of 8 (7,514 Views)

Please clarify what you mean by "m/c".  Microcomputer?

1) I think we already addressed #1.

2) I've never tried installing QTP again on a system where it has already been installed once and the trial version expired, so not sure about this one.  You could try uninstalling it and re-installing it.  Possibly if you also change the name of the system you might be able to get another trial period with a re-install of the product.

3) The Locking Code generated during the QTP install is based on the system's name and can't be "removed"

4) If you have installed QTP on a workstation (non-server, non-Citrix) and configure it to use a Concurrent License Server, and then the license server becomes unavailable, you can change that instance of the QTP product to a seat license by launching the product and going to .Help > About and clicking on the License button at the bottom of the dialog.  However, then a valid seat license has to be installed on the workstation and it is based on the Locking Code for that workstation, which is different than the licenses created for and installed on the Concurrent License Server.  I am not an expert in QTP licensing, but you may want to review the additional documentation about the license server product - Sentinel.  There is something called "commuter licensing" descripted in the SysAdminHelp (<QTPinstallationDVD>\LicenseServer\server\SysAdminHelp\index.html).  It says "commuter licensing allows you to temporarily use a licensed application on a portable computer that is not connected to the network."  Maybe something like that could help.  It would be better, though, to set up a redundant concurrent license server.  If one license server goes down, on the workstation you can change the license server it points to by going through Help > About > License.

5a) You could remote desktop to the Australia workstation.  The performance degradation will be based on the bandwidth of the connections between your sites.  But you need to make sure this doesn't conflict with the license agreement that applies to the Australian workstation.

5b) I don't know anything about global licenses.  Talk to your HP sales rep.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.