Re: Powerbuilder toolbar icon tooltip (344 Views)
Occasional Advisor
RakeshM5
Message 1 of 7 (453 Views)

Powerbuilder toolbar icon tooltip

Hello,

I need help in identifying tooltip text of an icon on the toolbar of a powerbuilder (12.5) application.

We have a bunch of powerbuilder apps and automate it using QTP 11.0. QTP does not recognize individual icon on the toolbar but recognizes the whole toolbar as a generic PbObject. 

- I have installed all applicable QTP patches for PowerBuilder.

- I have seen posts about using nativeclass:=tooltips_ class32 but this does not work for me

- Because of the dynamic nature of tooltip, it cannot be added to the repository

- I have used Virtual Objects and have seen some positive results. But since the toolbar can be moved around, this can be unreliable.

Any help is appreciated

Thank you

Rakesh M

HP Expert
Eickel
Message 2 of 7 (440 Views)

Re: Powerbuilder toolbar icon tooltip

[ Edited ]

Hi Rakesh,

Thank you for your question.

Having a look at the PB add-in object model from QTP online help, it seems that the PBToolbar object is the deeper available object to interact against the "menu" or toolbar. Being that said, there is not an independent object available for each of the button of the toolbar/menu to work with.

So, perhaps, you might try to get the tooltip text from the PBToolbar property called: GetContent or GetItemProperty.

GetContent: Returns a string containing all of the buttons in the toolbar.

GetItemProperty: Returns the value of the specified toolbar button property

You could find additional information on this from: QTP Help > HP QTP Object Model Reference > PowerBuilder > PbToolbar Object.

If none of the above works, you might try to find an useful method thru ".object" method. The exact syntax information to use the PB object (Native method) should be reviewed from the PB documentation (We don't keep it, since it's not developed or supported by us).

"HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."
Occasional Advisor
RakeshM5
Message 3 of 7 (425 Views)

Thank you for your reply. 

Unfortunately the toolbar is not recognized as PbToolbar, so I am unable to use any of the PbToolbar methods or properties.

There are no ".object" methods available either. 

HP Expert
Eickel
Message 4 of 7 (418 Views)

Rakesh,
What is the class of the identified object?

"HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."
Occasional Advisor
RakeshM5
Message 5 of 7 (410 Views)

PbObject
HP Expert
Eickel
Message 6 of 7 (344 Views)

Rakesh,

Researching I recently found the following from the QTP 11.00 Add-ins uide documentation, on page 286:

"When learning or recording on toolbars in PowerBuilder applications, QuickTest no longer records the PbToolbar test object. Instead, it records a PbObject.Click object. The PbToolbar test object is no longer available in QuickTest dialog boxes or in the documentation. 

If a PbToolbar test object exists in an old object repository, it will be recognized and supported, but toolbar-specific methods such as CheckItem, GetContent, GetItem, GetItemProperty, GetItemCount, GetSelection, Press, ShowDropDown, and WaitItemProperty are not supported for this object.

You should update object repositories and tests to use the PbObject test object for toolbar steps."

So, probably this is a good example for filing a product enhancement request.
Best regards,

"HP Support
Occasional Advisor
RakeshM5
Message 7 of 7 (312 Views)

Thanks for the update
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.