Installed QTP 10.0 on vm then cannot launch java virtual machine (2441 Views)
Visitor
kfrankeacs
Message 1 of 5 (2,441 Views)
Accepted Solution

Installed QTP 10.0 on vm then cannot launch java virtual machine

After installing QTP 10.0 on an XP virtual machine, java virtual machine cannot be launched and app will not open. Here are more details: Appropriate version of Java installed on virtual machine (appropriate for app to be tested) and application launches correctly from a webstart page prior to installation of QTP. Install QTP 10.0 on virtual machine, then when attempt to launch the application to be tested, receive error that "cannot launch java virtual machine" so the application will not launch. Interestingly enough after install QTP, if attempt to access the Java Control Panel on virtial machine (from Start, Control panel) it will not open. Once uninstall QTP and remove all regedit keys, the desired app launches successfully and Java Control Panel is accessible again by user.

Anyone guidance to offer is very much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sperk
Message 2 of 5 (2,435 Views)

Re: Installed QTP 10.0 on vm then cannot launch java virtual machine

I've had something similar, when I installed QTP with the Java addin it installed an older version of Java. When I tried to use my app a button which was a Java applet became disabled.

When I looked at the Java Runtime Environments tab I saw 2 versions of  Java, the older version installed by QTP had become checked as the default, I unchecked it and both the app and QTP functioned correctly.

I realise you cannot access the Java control panel but I just wanted to say I think the 2-versions of Java scenario is your issue.

Mark.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
DineshRobinson
Message 3 of 5 (2,424 Views)

I am not sure if this helps.

Can you check for the user defined and System environment variables? from right click on my computer -Properties->System Properties->Advanced -Environment Variables. Look for _JAVA_OPTIONS, JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS etc which have QTP java classes path, remove them. And try. May be you can copy those and keep a back up and add back if this does not solve.

Once i had this issue, I cleared up these and then i was able to launch my java application and also QTP. I was not interested to know what went wrong. So i did not bother about it.

Please let me know if you figure out something.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
kfrankeacs
Message 4 of 5 (2,417 Views)

Thank you for the response. After uninstalling QTP, I checked the Java Runtime Environments tab and found there was an older version of java installed. I uninstalled that version and then installed QTP again, however I did not install the Java Add-In and then could launch my java application. If java add-in gets installed then the Java control panel becomes disabled, so it has something to do with the java add-in. Thanks for the idea though.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
kfrankeacs
Message 5 of 5 (2,414 Views)

Success! After installing the Java Add-in, I checked environment variables as suggested. I copied the value and pasted it to a word document as a backup for the following environment variables then deleted them and my java app launched successfully. Envrionment variables deleted are:

_JAVA_OPTIONS

JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS

IBM_JAVA_OPTIONS

Thanks so much for the solution.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation