Re: How to force Sentinel RMS to release a license allocated to a user (1885 Views)
Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 1 of 4 (1,923 Views)

How to force Sentinel RMS to release a license allocated to a user

We are using QTP v11 with the concurrent licensing model, with Sentinel RMS installed on a central license server.  There was a network issue that took the server offline, apparently while users had QTP open and licenses allocated to them.  The users swear that they currently do not have QTP open, but wlmadmin.exe on the license server shows licenses allocated to these users.

Does anybody know of a way to make the license server release a specific concurrent license allocated to a specific user/machine?  I searched the Sentinel sysadmin help file but could not find a solution.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Honored Contributor
Sperk
Message 2 of 4 (1,905 Views)

Re: How to force Sentinel RMS to release a license allocated to a user

In the past we have had to restart the SentinelLM service, however if it was a server crash there may be some sort of lock file on the server holding the license.

On a seat installation the lock file is called Lock.lck you might want to search for that, it's safe to delete it on a seat installation, I would think if you stop the service and delete it it shouldn't cause any issues

Mark Smith.
Advisor
Vijay_Venkatan
Message 3 of 4 (1,893 Views)

I have similar request, if the QTP session is idle for some time say 5 hours, the license server should release the license in that case. So that the license are freed and made available for future use.

I heard it is possible using key Lifetime, but I unable to get more information on it. Any light on this issue will help me a lot. Thanks

Honored Contributor
Trudy Claspill
Message 4 of 4 (1,885 Views)

I have opened the following case with HP support

Case title

How do I force license release when QTP app is idle?

We are using QTP v11 with Concurrent Licensing with the Sentinel RMS software and license keys installed on a separate server. Looking at the info available from the Sentinel utility wlmadmin.exe I see users are getting licenses and holding them for days at a time.

Is there a way to take the licenses back if the QTP application is idle for some time? Is this configurable?

According to the Sentinel help files:
"About the RMS License Server > Understanding License Authorization Process

"Step 6: Client Renews License

"Each license code specifies the maximum time period that a license may be held by an application without renewal. After a client has received a license, it must periodically request a license renewal from the license server.

"Forcing a license to be renewed allows a license server to reclaim a license when there is a problem with an application or a client computer. If the application does not renew its license within the allowed time, it loses its license and the server may grant it to another user. "

Looking at the information displayed in wlmadmin.exe it appears that our license has a "hold time" of 0 seconds, and a "Key Lifetime" of 900 seconds.

How frequently is the QTP v11 application renewing the license?

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.