Flex custom components automation in UFT (1065 Views)
Occasional Advisor
deepak_T
Message 1 of 11 (1,065 Views)

Flex custom components automation in UFT

I want to know if UFT flex add in supports automation of custom components created in flex.

In QTP we had to instrument the custom components to make them automation ready. Have these issues been addressed in UFT or we have to follow the same procedure of instrumenting the custom components?

Respected Contributor
Ruddy10
Message 2 of 11 (1,002 Views)

Re: Flex custom components automation in UFT

Hello Deepak_T,

Thank you very much for contacting HP Software. My name is Ruddy and I want to help on this question.

That is still a limitation and we will consider adding support to this controls acording to demand.

The below is an enhancement request related to custom control not recognized:

https://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/LID/QCCR1J30960

Also you may find interesting the below document about How to Prepare Flex Applications for Testing with HP Flex add-in:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00339739

Best Regards,

Ruddy Alvarez Hernandez.
HP Support.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

[Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.]
Occasional Advisor
deepak_T
Message 3 of 11 (990 Views)

Thanks Ruddy for the information.

I am not autherized to access the links provided by you. I am evaluating a Trial version of UFT, Can i get the below document through mail?

Thank You,

Deepak_T

Respected Contributor
Ruddy10
Message 4 of 11 (965 Views)

Hi Deepak_t

I already sent you as a private message all the information of the document KM00339739

Regards.

Ruddy Alvarez Hernandez.
HP Support.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

[Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.]
Occasional Advisor
deepak_T
Message 5 of 11 (950 Views)

Hi Ruddy,

I did not receive the KM document in my mailbox. Could you make sure if it was delivered to me?

Thanks,

Deepak_T

LSW
Jenna-HPSW
Message 6 of 11 (915 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @deepak_T were you able to finish your trial of UFT?  If you would like help in evaluating the product for your specific needs/environment I'd be happy to assist. 

I am an HP employee.

If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.

Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer. No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.

If you need further insight into HP Solutions, please send me a private message or contact an HP Solutions Expert.
Occasional Advisor
deepak_T
Message 7 of 11 (909 Views)

Hi ,

I am evaluating the UFT trial version in my organistaion for automation of a flex application having many custom components. I have followed all the steps to make my application automation ready as mentioned in the document.

Now UFT is recognising the objects in my applications but there are many controls which are not being recognised. i asked the developer and they told that these are custom components.

sent me a below links which i was unable to access-

https://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/LID/QCCR1J30960 

So we are not able to go ahead with our automation plan. I know that adobe provide a mechanism to automate the custom

components for its QTP add in. But i am not aware if this can be implemented for flex add in in UFT.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Deepak T

Respected Contributor
Ruddy10
Message 8 of 11 (898 Views)

Hi Deepak,

Important: This feedback is only for HP Flex Add-innot the Adobe Flex add-in.

To prepare a Flex application for Web for testing

1. Link the Flex application to Adobe Flex automation libraries and a UFT Flex pre-compiled agent. To do this, add the following compiler arguments in the Flex project:

-include-libraries+="<PATH_TO_UFT_ROOT>\dat\Flash\Flex\HpQTPAgent.swc"
    -include-libraries+="${flexlib}\libs\automation\automation_agent.swc"
    -include-libraries+="${flexlib}\libs\automation\automation.swc"
    -include-libraries+="${flexlib}\libs\automation\automation_spark.swc"

2. Embed the Flex application into a host .html document and open the host document using a Web browser.

To prepare an Flex application for Adobe AIR for testing

Link the Flex AIR application to Adobe Flex automation libraries and a UFT Flex pre-compiled agent. To do this, add the following compiler argument in the Flex AIR project:

-include-libraries+="${flexlib}\libs\automation\automation_air.swc"
-include-libraries+="${flexlib}\libs\automation\automation_airspark.swc"

To prepare a Flex application hosted by Adobe standalone Flash Player for testing, including the debug version, or Adobe Flash Player Projector

1. Link the Flex application to Adobe Flex automation libraries and a UFT Flex pre-compiled agent. To do this, add the following compiler argument in the Flex project:

2. Open the application in one of the following:
    • the Adobe standalone Flash Player
    • the Debug version of the standalone Flash Player
    • the Adobe Flash Player Projector

To prepare a Flex application that uses the Flex charting or AdvancedDataGrid classes

Link the Flex application to the automation_dmv.swc library. To do this, add the following compiler argument in the Flex project:

-include-libraries+="${flexlib}\libs\automation\automation_dmv.swc"

Starting from Service Pack 3 (SP3) for UFT 11.50 there is new option to automate flex application by using Runtime Loader.
The UFT Flex Runtime Loader enables you to test Flex applications (.swf files) directly without having to prepare the application manually for test

Open the Flex Web application using the Runtime Loader:

Open the application in a 32-bit Internet Explorer, using the following syntax in the URL box:
<UFTFlexAUTLoaderPath.swf>?swf_url=<ApplicationName.swf>&<param_name1>=<para
m_value1>&<param_name2>=<param_value2>

For more information review the "How to Prepare Flex Applications for Testing" under "Chapter 13 - Flex Add-in" on the HP UFT Add-ins Guide

Hope this will help remember that you may buy full support in order to help you in the future as better as possible.

Please mark this answer as accepted solution or correct answer if this answered your question.

Best regards,

Ruddy Alvarez Hernandez.
HP Support.

Occasional Advisor
deepak_T
Message 9 of 11 (890 Views)

Hi ,

Thanks for the information, UFT is recognizing the normal component in my flex application. I have some queries-

1- If i use adobe flex add- in to automate custom components through instrumentation and later i upgarde to UFT, will my scrips be reusable?

2- If i am using UFT ,can i still use instrumention to automate custom components in UFT?

Below is the link to automate custom components through adobe flex-add in.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS2db454920e96a9e51e63e3d11c0bf69084-7ec5.html

Please answer my queries so that we could calculate ROI before going ahead.

Thanks,

Deepak T

LSW
Jenna-HPSW
Message 10 of 11 (868 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi @deepak_T

I sent you a private message offline and just wanted to follow up and ensure you had all of the resources you were needing for the trial.  I'd like to connect you with one of our Account Managers to discuss your specific requirements as well as ROI the tool can provide in your environment. 

Feel free to reach out to me directly or via the Contact Us form on the HP Enterprise Software page. 

I am an HP employee.

If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.

Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer. No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.

If you need further insight into HP Solutions, please send me a private message or contact an HP Solutions Expert.
Occasional Contributor
Dharmendra
Message 11 of 11 (617 Views)

Hi,
I have one flex application which is working with QTP 11,Flash 4.5 addin and IE 8.I am able to recognize all the object in the application as it is automation testing ready from the developer side.
Now i want to move to UFT 12.01 where i have flex addin installed(provided by HP not Adobe).For the same application UFT is not able to recognize even a single object.
Also, can you please help me understand this better w.r.t Flex run time loader:

<UFTFlexAUTLoaderPath.swf>?swf_url=<ApplicationName.swf>&<param_name1>=<para
m_value1>&<param_name2>=<param_value2>

If my application URL is https://abc.xyz.com/tw/main_debug.html then what should I use in the above command?

Also, I believe it would work with application developed in Flex SDK v 4.6? Please confirm.

Regards,
Dharmendra
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.