12-05-2013 10:47 AM
- We are planning to have 10 to 20 new VM where we will install UFT 11.52
- We will want to have the manual testers (at first, at least 5 of them, but maybe up to 50 in the future) be able to execute the automated scripts as they need it, through HP QC test lab.
- We want to avoid installing UFT on the manual testers PC.
- If they execute the tests from QC test lab on their own PC, after the run is complete they would need to have the Result Viewer installed on their PC to "Launch Report".
So far, I know :
- They still need to be logged on the VM for UFT to launch from QC.
- They will also need to open UFT at least once from the VM to "allow other hp products to run tests..."
- "Allow other HP products..." is a setup that each individual manual tester would have to do, on each of the 20 VM... That is 100 to 1000 total logon to be performed.
Now, is there an easy and quick way to set up UFT to "allow hp products" for all the VM's users?
What do you guys do to allow the manual testers to execute UFT scripts ?
What is optimal ?
Thanks for your help and insight,
Solved! Go to Solution.
12-06-2013 06:19 AM
The registry setting for this is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER so yes, you will need to set it for every user on the UFT machine. (I.e. logon and configure this for every user)
You could do this directly from registry, i.e. set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Professional\MicTest\AllowTDConnect to "1" (rather than opening UFT) and also automate this process through VBScript.
I think it is not needed to install and register the ALM client components per user or even install the QTP/UFT add-in for ALM prior to running test from ALM remotely on this machine. ALM should download and register them automatically in this case, if they are not already there (the components, not the add-in). The add-in is needed when, for example, you want to view the script from ALM.
However, there are other prerequisites you should do prior to running a test from ALM remotely on a UFT machine: UFT User Guide > UFT Integration With HP ALM > ALM Integration > Troubleshooting and Limitations - ALM Integration > Troubleshooting and Limitations - General ALM Integration
Regarding logon during execution: yes, you need to have a user logged on to a UFT machine in order to execute script on this host. This is a limitation by QTP/UFT: you cannot replay/run test on a locked or logged-off machine.
If the VM is a Terminal Server (for example, Windows Server 2008/2012), i.e. you can have multiple users logged into this machine at the same time, it is not defined (or documented) in ALM 11 which user (Windows logged-in user) exactly is chosen for execution. As far as I know, with ALM 11.52 you have the option to set a user credentials in the Server Side execution feature.. But for details on both questions, you should refer to ALM team: either log a case or try with ALM forums first: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Quality-Center-ALM/ct
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”