Re: Printing barcodes (116 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Alan Porter
Message 1 of 4 (116 Views)

Printing barcodes

We are currently printing softfonts to a HP3000 to allow us to print barcodes. And we are needing to know how this is done on a HP9000 using HP-UX.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Eric Sorensen_1
Message 2 of 4 (116 Views)

Re: Printing barcodes

Hello Alan,

There are several methods to produce barcodes but the typical method is to ensure the printer is barcode capable (i.e. install a barcode chip) and then send PCL triggering the barcode function, and then send raw data. If you use this method, then it will not matter which host is sending the data.

I do not know what you mean by "printing softfonts." Perhaps you are uploading a barcode "font" from a PC into the printer, and then triggering the use of that font through PCL commands? If so, then I suspect it will work just as well from HPUX...
A problem well defined is half solved.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Alan Porter
Message 3 of 4 (116 Views)

Hello Eric,

We know about the "Barcode chip", but don't like that option because we have some many printers that we would have to add it too.

You are correct... we are downloading the barcode to the printer from the HP3000. We are calling this a softfont. How would you download a font using HP-UX? We have tried FTP, but that didn't work.

We copied the fontfile from the 3000 to 9000 using FTP Binary. Then tried sending it to the printer using "LP -ddpro -oraw fontfile".
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Eric Sorensen_1
Message 4 of 4 (116 Views)

Hello Alan,

Sorry, but I know very little about HPUX. There are many other people that work "both sides of the fence" so maybe someone else will reply, or you could post your question to the HPUX forum.
A problem well defined is half solved.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation