Re: Job Scheduling and Printing Management Tools (134 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Earl Jones_1
Message 1 of 3 (134 Views)

Job Scheduling and Printing Management Tools

Forgive me (and tell me) if marketing messages (like this one) are not appropriate here.

Our firm, Taricon Technologies (www.taricon.com) produces job scheduling and printing management tools which can replace equivalent HP3000 functionality in migration projects. Available on all UNIX and Linux platforms, with client support for Windows servers and workstations.

- Earl Jones
Frequent Advisor
Yosef Rosenblatt
Message 2 of 3 (134 Views)

Re: Job Scheduling and Printing Management Tools

Dear Sir,
These comments reflect my opinion and not that of my employer.

I will not comment on the appropriateness of the forum for the message. Apparently the forum moderators felt it was appropriate. I still have a few questions or comments.

I visited your website and did not find one reference to the HP3000 or its operating system, MPE iX. I do not doubt that your software maybe as good or better than any other software of its type in the UNIX arena. Your marketing material does not make a compelling case that HP 3000 users will be more pleased with your product than with others. In fact it makes no case at all.

There are vendors of products that have products that run in both the HP 3000 and UNIX environments. HP 3000 users will turn to these vendors for their solutions unless you can convince them otherwise. Simply stating that you ???can replace equivalent HP3000 functionality in migration projects??? without demonstrating that you even know what that functionality does not convince me.

The HP 3000 community knows who and what is available. They are a fiercely loyal and extremely knowledgeable group. Coming in at the eleventh hour with software that never ran on the 3000 just does not cut it. This appears to be a blatant attempt to get into a market that you never considered worthwhile until now. It also appears to be a halfhearted attempt at that.

To quote the Bard of Hibbling, ???You know something???s happening but you don???t know what it is, do you Mr. Jones????
Occasional Contributor
Earl Jones_1
Message 3 of 3 (134 Views)

Re: Job Scheduling and Printing Management Tools

Mr. Rosenblatt -

Thank you for your candid comments regarding my posting in this forum. I welcome the opportunity to respond.

First, I couldn't agree with you more that our products never ran on the 3000. I'll also agree with you that we do not know the 3000 as a platform, nor as a market. We have it on the authority and reputation of one of our overseas affililates, who does have experience with the 3000, that Xi-Text and Xi-Batch have functional similarities to tools on the 3000 that make them worth a look to users migrating to UNIX or Linux.

You state that the 3000 community knows "who and what" is available. From that, I infer that you mean products with a presence in both 3000 and 9000 markets. If there are products functionally similar to ours which operate identically in the 3000 and 9000 environment, AND a direct migration is what the user is seeking to accomplish, then no doubt our products are not a fit.

But on the other hand, if functionality and richness of features (rather than look-and-feel or direct compatibility) is the goal, then we, along with our many competitors in UNIX and Linux, warrant consideration on price, value and quality, the same as any other software product.

And finally, I'll also plead guilty to your charge that this is an attempt to get into a new market. Not one that we never considered until now (we still don't run on the 3000), but one that was only recently brought to our attention as a place where we can add value. I have been in software development and marketing for nearly 30 years. It is common in my direct experience for a product to become quite successful in a market niche that was not the developers' first target. I see no reason to forego the opportunity to do a small bit of modest (not halfhearted) flag-waving to draw some attention to us.

Ultimately, as with every other software product, the market will decide.

Best,

Earl Jones
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.