Is 3H0-002 "The" HP certificate? (15 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Shawn_45
Message 1 of 19 (15 Views)
Accepted Solution

Is 3H0-002 "The" HP certificate?

I am new to this site but not really new to HP-UX. I have been using it for many years as a regular user. I am thinking of getting certified as administrator but just wondered about these:

1. Which certificate should I get? Is the subject line true?

2. I am on user side but have not been on admin side of the UX world. Do I need to or I can get away with it by reading books and practice with only the user privilege?

3. Can I ask questions towards helping me with the exam here, and if yes, in your experience, do people get answers?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Shawn
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Denver Osborn
Message 2 of 19 (15 Views)

Re: Is 3H0-002 "The" HP certificate?

Hi Shawn,

1. yes - 3H0-002 is the certification exam#

2. Being on the user side may be hard to get exposure to everyday sysadmin tasks such as LVM, etc.. but you can certainly learn it.

There is a practice test available here:
http://education.itrc.hp.com/TrainerII/en_US/catalog/catalogDetail.jsp?id=tprodid000007

There's also a good book to help with studying. It's "HP certified" by Rafeeq Ur Rehman. http://www.hp.com/hpbooks/prentice/ptr_0130183741.html

3. Ask all the questions you want in the forums! As long as you remember to assign points for contributing members, they'll be happy to reply!

There's a lot of experience and knowledge available here from real world SysAdmins

Hope this helps and welcome to the itrc forums!
-denver
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Wilfred Chau_1
Message 3 of 19 (15 Views)

You are right. That's the exam.

You would probably need to know all sort of things, like NIS, NFS, NTP etc. Not only how to use them as well as how to setup them up.

Here is a linke you can look at and there is a sample test you can take and have a feel of how the test looks like.

http://education.hp.com/hpcert-practice.htm
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Shawn_45
Message 4 of 19 (15 Views)

I have lot of trouble following Denver's link to the practice test. not that the link was invalid but that I followed all the way through to checkout the test and it asked me for a username and password. Well I tried everything I could and it wouldn't let me. is username supposed to be:

a) my real name? or
b) my user ID which is assigned to me as CA91... something or
c) my email address?

sorry I tried them all.

I have waited for 2 hours just incase the database was not updated. Obviously I can log in here and post but uhuh, not that page to download the free practice test. I will try the second suggestion.

Many thanks to all of you.

Shawn
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jeff Schussele
Message 5 of 19 (15 Views)

Hi Shawn,

You can't download the test. You take it on-line & the system grades it for you. Real-time feedback so to speak.
I'll try to navigate to that page & check it.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Patrick Wallek
Message 6 of 19 (15 Views)

Shawn,

The userid that is requested from the HP Education web site is different from your ITRC id. (Come on HP, get the stuff synced up, will ya?!)

You must click on the new user registration area and sign up. Only then will you be able to get to the practice test.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Shawn_45
Message 7 of 19 (15 Views)

It tricked me in the way that I need to register again! Now I can get the practice page. Hmm, a usability problem to me.

I would like to withdraw my last comment but I can't. Another usability problem.

Sorry Denver but I did gave you a high mark :-)

Shawn
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jeff Schussele
Message 8 of 19 (15 Views)

Awww....Patrick stole my thunder ;~)
I'd forgotten that the HP Ed site has their own IDs...BUT hey I remembered mine =~)

Here's the exact URL

http://education.itrc.hp.com/TrainerII/en_US/catalog/catalogDetail.jsp?id=tprodid000007

But you'll need an HP Ed ID of course.

Good Luck,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Michael Tully
Message 9 of 19 (15 Views)

One thing I'd like to add. The actual test has a few questions on networking that are not covered that well in either practise test or in the Rehman book. You may want to spend some time with your friendly network administrator and understand completely what are subnets, class addresses, subnet masks, IP addressing etc.

Here is another posting that also provides some info.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xe21a36e69499d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Ian Kidd_1
Message 10 of 19 (15 Views)

One thing I'd like to add. HP does have a "webinar" regarding the HP-UX certification. Basically, it's a time to go over some sample questions. The instructor will give the correct answer and why it's the correct answer. It's also one of the few places that will discuss some of the network questions that HP will give - these types of questions aren't covered in the practice test nor in Rehman's book. The last 10 minutes or so is usually devoted to a question-and-answer period with the instructor.

The price is approximately $160, but this also includes a voucher for taking the certification test 1 time (and the test is $100).

It's something that might be worth investigating. The link is:
http://education.itresourcecenter.hp.com/TrainerII/en_US/catalog/catalogDetail.jsp?id=tprodid002655
If at first you don't succeed, go to the ITRC
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Richard Darling
Message 11 of 19 (15 Views)

Hi Shawn,

The HP study book at the link supplied in the first response is all you really need; other than working with HP UX. If you can handle all the questions asked in the book at the end of the chapters you should feel confident taking and passing the test.

http://www.hp.com/hpbooks/prentice/ptr_0130183741.html

Richard Darling
rdarling@southwickclothing.com
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris Vail
Message 12 of 19 (15 Views)

I concur with the others who way that Rehman's book doesn't cover enough network theory. To get past this third of the test, you'll have to understand network theory in depth, as well as have a lot of practical experience. I've been doing UNIX for 19 years now, and have a LOT of practical network experience, but I barely passed the network portion of the exam because of the in-depth theory questions.
Also, a lot of the questions are misleading, or downright confusing. For example, the question has 4 answers, and you're asked to provide the "best answer". Three of the answers are all correct possibilities, with the fourth being "none of the above". The only answer they're looking for is the fourth.
As with any test, its not difficult if you study, but be sure to practice it. It may be best to beg/borrow/steal an older/slower HPUX computer--attached to a network--for which you can have root priviledges. Then, at least, you'll have a chance to practice some of the theory.

Good Luck
Chris
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Ian Kidd_1
Message 13 of 19 (15 Views)

CHANGES TO THE HP CERTIFICATION
I just received an email from HP. Here's an excerpt:

"HP announced ... a broad portfolio of certification offerings in the newly integrated HP Certified Professional program. You may view the certification offerings at: www.hp.com/go/certification ... HP recognizes and values the investments of their certified professionals and will do everything possible to maintain these investments through this transition."

basically, we already certified people will no longer be HP Certified IT professional - HP-UX system administrators. We (an new certificate holders) will now have the CSA-HP-UX certification (CSA=certified systems administrator).

It still indicates that one of the ways to get a CSA-HP-UX is by taking HP-UX system administration exam #HP0-002. There is nothing mentioning that the contents of the test will change, but I just wanted everyone to know.

For those already certified, we'll be getting a new certificate and ID badge. I wonder if they'll also be sending new logos on a floppy and a new pin.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Norman_21
Message 14 of 19 (15 Views)

Hey Ian,

I just went to the hp web site and read about the changes all I can see is the title has been changed. I'm preparing for the EXAM 3ho-002
and I've been using the book written by Rafeeq Ur-Rehman, is this book still valid, I mean, should I consider any other materials that hp will recommend.

appreciate your reply.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Patrick Wallek
Message 15 of 19 (15 Views)

The HP CERTIFIED book, along with experience is probably still the best preparation for this test.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Ian Kidd_1
Message 16 of 19 (15 Views)

XMAN,
As I am not an HP employee, I can only hazard a guess. But as far as I can tell, It boils down to a name change.

It would seem to me that if HP was going to use different test formats/questions types, they would also retire the 3H0-002 test. And I haven't heard anything about that happening.

Rafeeq Ur-Rehman's book is great. Besides work experience (and reading this forum), it was my main source of knowledge for passing the test. But I STRONGLY agree with Michael Tully's response: know about IP addressing and subnetting. Rehman's book doesn't go into it as deeply as you would need to answer some of the questions.
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Kristopher March
Message 17 of 19 (15 Views)

Anyone have the 800 number to contact training. I need to update my mailing info so I don't miss these e-mails and such.

Thanks,
"This ain't no burger flippin job!"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Alex Mavrodis
Message 18 of 19 (15 Views)

Man.....
Failed it twice & Networking is letting me down . Scored 53% in this section. Does anyone know any braindumps on this... Starting to feel depressed!!!!

64% then 65% . Atleast I'm improving
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Richard Darling
Message 19 of 19 (15 Views)

Alex - braindumps??!!

First, of all, if you use braindumps you are lowering the value of the certification for the rest of us that aren't cheaters. If you use braindumps you are a dishonest cheater...period.

Second, HP will take away your cert if you are found out ot use braindumps.

Finally, you aren't doing yourself a favor...study the material, practice on a box...do it the right way, and it will mean more to you.
rdarling@southwickclothing.com
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation