Re: How to create a new knowledge base article (3757 Views)
Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 1 of 7 (4,041 Views)

How to create a new knowledge base article

[ Edited ]

(For the announcement about the new HP Enterprise Business Community Knowledge Base, please click here)

Creating a new Community Knowledge Base article is easy – utilizing content already available within an existing discussion in the community, you can quickly format, tag, and submit an article for publication. You may see the term "TKB" used interchangeably with "Community Knowledge Base." TKB stands for "Tribal Knowledge Base," and is a generic term for a knowledge base created by the members of a community, similar in some ways to a wiki.

Please note that the best candidates for inclusion into the knowledge base are discussions where a solution to the issue has been identified.  This way, we can publish a document which asks a question (or states an issue), and then also include the resolution and steps to follow.  If you're looking to ask a question, and don't yet know the answer, then posting in the forums remains the best way to seek assistance from the community.

Most users within the community will have the ability to create a new knowledge base article – brand-new users won’t until they’ve advanced beyond the initial new user ranks (which only requires being a member for a short amount of time and creating a handful of posts – indicating a willingness to commit to the community).

To get started, click the “Start Article” link under “Topic Options” while viewing the discussion:  

tkb_3.JPG

You will then be asked to select a template for the article – Freeform, Questions and Answers, or Solutions.  The only difference is there will be some pre-populated headings in the Questions and Answers and Solutions templates where you can copy/add the appropriate information.  Once you’ve selected the appropriate template, click the “Start Article” button to proceed to the next step.

On the “New Article” page, you will have a variety of information you can edit/provide:

Subject – This is pre-populated with the title of the discussion that was used to start the article, but can be changed if necessary.

Editor – This is where the majority of authoring a new document will occur.  Depending on the template selected, you may find there are headings already in the body of the document.  You will also find entries under the “Content” tab for each post that has been made to the existing forum discussion:

tkb_4.JPG

By dragging and dropping the “handle” located to the top left of each post, you can quickly re-use information from the discussion to start to fill in the article, by dropping it in the appropriate location within the body of the article:

tkb_5.JPG

After adding any already available content to the body of the message, you can do any necessary editing within the body field – typically, this will involve removing the “conversation” elements that are often found in a forum discussion, but don’t need to be a part of stand-alone article.  For example, removing “Thanks, <User Name>” from the end of the original question, or “Hi <User Name>,” frequently found at the beginning of replies to the question.  Other portions of the posts used to create the article can also be removed if they’re not relevant to the topic being covered.  The idea is to create a compact version of the discussion, distilling it down to only the important elements (especially when using a Questions and Answers or Solutions template).

Labels – If you have any applicable/appropriate keywords you would like associated with the article, enter them (separated by commas) in this field.

Featured Article Teaser – Some articles may be selected to be “Featured” at the top level of the knowledge base, due to frequent occurrences of the issue being covered, popularity of the article, or other criteria.  If you would like to include a brief introduction to your article, use this field.

Attachments – Just as in a forum discussion, you can include a file attachment if the topic being covered by the article requires it.

Revision Information – Often an article will need to be updated at a later date, to reflect changes in the scenario/solution.  This field can be optionally used to include information about what was changed in the article for revision control/tracking purposes.

Related Links – This will automatically be updated with links to the messages from the original discussion that were used to create the article.  So if the first post, representing the question being asked, and the fourth post, where the answer was provided, were used to create the body of the message, links to those specific posts will be included in this area (and will display when a user is viewing the article within the knowledge base once it has been published).

Contributors – Just as with “Related Links”, this area will automatically be populated with the names of the community members who authored the posts that were used to create the article.  You can also add additional names via the text field and “Add” button, if there was a user who contributed some information to the discussion but who’s post wasn’t actually used to populate a portion of the article.

Once you have completed the article, you can:

Save – This will leave the article unpublished, in case you need to come back and make additional changes/updates before requesting review or publication.

Save & Request Review – If you would like another member of the community (or even an administrator or moderator) to take a look at your article before it’s fully published, used this option.  You can then notify the necessary person to review your article via the knowledge base dashboard.

Save & Request Publication – Once you are confident the article is ready for publication to the knowledge base, use this button.  It will be placed in a queue for verification – depending on the volume of articles and the time of day, you should expect your article to become available to anyone accessing the knowledge base very shortly.

Community Knowledge Base Dashboard

To access the articles you’ve started but haven’t yet published, simply click the “Knowledge Base Dashboard” under Community Options when on any knowledge base page:

tkb_6.JPG

This will allow you to access tabs for your nominated posts, approved topics, and/or drafts:

tkb_7.JPG

For additional help with how our Community Knowledge Base operates, please see our more detailed help section at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/tkb#tkb

I work for HP.
Honored Contributor
V. Nyga
Message 2 of 7 (4,004 Views)

Re: How to create a new knowledge base article

Hi Kevin,

I don`t have this 'feature' - am I a 'brand-new user'?

On the other side - I don't know if I really want it.

Do we need it?

The first knowledge base article is from a new user just asking a question ....

Why can`t knowledge base article go through a filter - announced by an user, agreed by an admin?

The forum becomes more and more confusing - why has the thread two 'Related links' to itself?

Why has a user these lines:

Blog Articles Posted

Blog Comments Posted

Ideas Posted

Idea Comments Posted

Do we really need 'Blogs'? 'Comments'?

Please re-think this forum ... bring it back to the roots.

Volkmar

*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 3 of 7 (3,995 Views)

[ Edited ]

>Why can't knowledge base article go through a filter?

They are fixing that.

>Do we really need 'Blogs'? 'Comments'?

If you look at other parts of the EBC forum, it's all blogs, all the way down.  ;-)

You don't need to visit if you don't want to.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Application-Lifecycle-Management/ct-p/application-lifecycle-mgnt

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/participation#participation

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/blogs#blogs

And a forum for "fun" videos:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Around-the-Water-Cooler/bd-p/sws-FunVideos

Occasional Visitor
ishutterbug
Message 4 of 7 (3,942 Views)

Perhaps I'm the only one that feels this way ... but this is frustrating to a "new user" in that a simple question cannot be asked of the community without first waiting some untold amount of time and posting.  I can understand if this is a 'help the community effort', although this limitation is still frustrating.  But I digress, as I am in Rome.

" (which only requires being a member for a short amount of time and creating a handful of posts – indicating a willingness to commit to the community)."

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 5 of 7 (3,934 Views)

[ Edited ]

>but this is frustrating to a "new user" in that a simple question cannot be asked of the community without first waiting some untold amount of time and posting.

I'm not sure I understand your point?

If you want to ask a question, this board and/or topic is the wrong place for it.  This topic is about authoring knowledge base articles.  And you must prove you know something before you can start adding to the base.

HP Pro
Suman_1978
Message 6 of 7 (3,766 Views)

Hi,

I dont get this “Start Article” link under “Topic Options”.  But I do get the option “Nominate to Knowledge Base” link under “Topic Options”.

What is the Criteria for a Forum user to get this “Start Article” link.  Is it based on number of Kudos or Ranking the user has in the forum.

Please reply.

Community Manager
Kevin_Paul
Message 7 of 7 (3,757 Views)

ishutterbug - posting an article in the knowledge base isn't the appropriate way to 'ask a question' - that's what the forums are for, which any user can always post to.

Knowledge base articles are for known issues where a solution exists - it's simply another way of sharing knowledge within the community. 

Hope that helps to clear things up - but please let me know if you still have questions.
I work for HP.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.