Re: vMA confusion (399 Views)
Trusted Contributor
Message 1 of 5 (575 Views)
Accepted Solution

vMA confusion

So where exaclty does this vMA vm get installed ?

The openview management server ?

Its own hardware ?

MV hosts ?

What is the first set in setting up the vMA - I have read alot and I see alot of information about configuring the vm guests... whats the 411 to get the vMA vm set up ?

Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 5 (575 Views)

Re: vMA confusion

the agent and SPI for vMA (ESX or vShpere or host)itself, will monitor the virtulization infrastructure and discover the virtual gusts.

the MGMT SRV, you will install the InfraSPI itself, for the hosts this depends on what you are going to monitor (OS, Application and so on)
Occasional Advisor
Message 3 of 5 (575 Views)

Hi there,

Have you evaluated nworks SPI for VMware from Veeam?

Valued Contributor
Message 4 of 5 (575 Views)

There are three entities involved here.

1. ESX 4.x/3.x hosts and guests - These are the ESX hosts systems on which we can create guest OS

2. Vcenter 4.x - VMware vCenter Server allows for the management of multiple ESX servers and virtual machines (VMs) from different ESX servers through a single console application.
It provides unified management of all the hosts and VMs in your datacenter from a single console with an aggregate performance monitoring of clusters, hosts and VMs.

3. vMA 4.x -The vSphere Management Assistant (vMA) allows administrators and developers to run scripts and agents to manage ESX/ESXi and vCenter Server systems.
vMA is a virtual machine that includes 64â bit Enterprise Linux compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.2 and CentOS 5.2, vMware Tools, vSphere CLI, JRE 1.5 etc. 

vMA can also collect ESX/ESXi and vCenter Server logging information and store the information on vMA for analysis.

You can install vMA on x64 standalone/virtual machine setup. There is no special hardware required.

In order to control the ESX hosts and Vcenter using vMA, use vifp addserver command to add the Vcenter and the hosts.

In Open view context,
(1) Install PA/GP on vMA system. Use BYLS class of PA/GP to monitor all the ESX hosts and their guests performance metrics. Also you can get details of datacenter, resource pools and clusters configured in Vcenter.
Note: In order to get these data, both the Vcenter and the ESX hosts must be added to vMA using vifp addserver command.

(2) Install OVO on vMA and deploy VISPI policy on vMA in order to monitor the vMA environment from management server.

Occasional Contributor
Message 5 of 5 (399 Views)

I have got

- ESXi servers & vCenter

- vMA on linux for administration and management of ESXi and vCenter Server systems

- Operations Manager on linux, 9.11 with Infra SPI

- oagents installed on VMs I want to monitor

I don't have:

license for VI SPI

Q: If I install Performance Agent (and oagent?) on vMA

I will be able to monitor the ESXi/vCenter health and performance?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.