Where is OM going? (13528 Views)
Trusted Contributor
David Barrington
Message 1 of 7 (13,528 Views)

Where is OM going?

I am currently upgrading everything to OMW9.  I find that there is not very much new in there, and the lack of activity on OM seems to indicate that HP is intending to drop it.

Despite this, the agent continues to expand, perhaps for some future role.

Once our 'compatibility upgrade' is complete, what should I be recommending to management as the next step towards a manageable future which preserves as much as possible of our extensive configuration and programming around OM for the last fifteen years?

Our budget will only allow a small step at a time, and we plan to run OMW9 for at least the next five years.  So whatever the next major step, it has to minimise set-up effort and operate alongside OM without duplicating any basic configuration work such as nodes and policies.

I know OMi is out there, but it seems not to fulfill the above; and did I see a withdrawal date somewhere?

David Barrington

David
Honored Contributor
Ram_21
Message 2 of 7 (13,508 Views)

Re: Where is OM going?

Hello

As per the obsolescence page from HP (http://support.openview.hp.com/encore/products_o-r.jsp)  OMW 9.0 is 2016+ and so I would read it as this version is there for beyond 2016. OMW 9.0 also has numerous patches coming out in a periodic manner with the latest patch OMW_00178 released on July 29, 2013. As you can see there is definetely activity on this product :)

Your best bet is to talk to your HP Sales contact for they are right folks who can give you information for the question you have asked.

Regards

Ram

Trusted Contributor
David Barrington
Message 3 of 7 (13,463 Views)

Thank you for inspiring some confidence, Ram, as always!

Yes the quality support is still out there, certainly.  I just feel that certain front-ends that have been screaming for a complete rewrite - the service map and the performance graphs, are just languishing.   It's not that they lack the underlying information flow - it's just that HP is missing opportunities to make this a more saleable product - people buy look-and-feel, don't they?  The solution does not lie in piling up add-ons which need even more configuration to stay where you are, just for the sake of getting something presentable (like Spotlight? ...)

The engineering under this product is second to none, and I would say to the world "don't buy the screenshots - look at the coverage and extensibility.".

Trouble is, the world is getting used to tablets and tablet-sized decision-making, and the workstation as we know it is disappearing.  Where is the Android app for OM?...

David
HP Expert
KBerger
Message 4 of 7 (13,460 Views)

David,

Have you looked at this yet?

https://hpln.hp.com/group/hp-anywhere-mini-app-bsm-omi

Keith

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves you issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Honored Contributor
Ram_21
Message 5 of 7 (13,456 Views)

Hello

You may also want to raise this question in the Expert day that HP is organized for OM product. May be there will be some Product Management folks from HP there and can answer this one. Or another option is HP DIscover as well (if you can attend for I know it is expensive :( ).

I am not sure you will get much info from asking this in the peer to peer forum.

Hope get better answer!

Regards

Ram

Honored Contributor
KAKA_2
Message 6 of 7 (13,445 Views)

Hello David,

Here is very good blog which should answer your doubts.
http://lkhill.com/abandoned-operations-manager/

I know Hp Folks will not like this :)

-KAKA-

Advisor
wlinn
Message 7 of 7 (3,848 Views)

I agree, have worked for several companies, who, have seen the product go from being a good product, to something of a kluge. HP somewhere along the way, went from "INVENT" to "Acquire", instead of making good products better, they added on from what they bought, companies looking for long term ROI, want a stable well developed product, seems they followed MS ideology, one reason Apple took that market share. We will see where it ends up, fortunately for old guys who have been around a while like me, I will likely retire before they totally lose market share.

KAKA_2 wrote:
Hello David,

Here is very good blog which should answer your doubts.
http://lkhill.com/abandoned-operations-manager/

I know Hp Folks will not like this :)

-KAKA-

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.