Re: Upgrading OMW 8.0 to OMW 8.1 (182 Views)
Trusted Contributor
JonH_5
Message 1 of 7 (182 Views)
Accepted Solution

Upgrading OMW 8.0 to OMW 8.1

Getting ready to test the upgrade of my lab installation of OMW 8.0 to OMW 8.1. Past posting of this upgrade failed miserably for most that tried (including myself). Has anyone documented the proper steps to perform a successful upgrade?

Thanks,
JON
Honored Contributor
Drew Dimmick
Message 2 of 7 (182 Views)

Re: Upgrading OMW 8.0 to OMW 8.1

I ended up doing the side-side migration, and got the migration files moved off to a safe place, then re-imaged the system, and installed clean. The direct migration failed 6 times (at different places) on me before I simply gave up.
I do "Windows"
Trusted Contributor
JonH_5
Message 3 of 7 (182 Views)

My goal is to NOT need the DBA assistance, they are really busy right now with other projects. Once I get my migration data, can I uninstall 8.0 leaving the SQL intact and then install 8.1 choosing the existing database? Or will the uninstall of 8.0 drop the SQL database also?
Honored Contributor
Drew Dimmick
Message 4 of 7 (182 Views)

Jon, it drops the database. I don't think you can get away without SQL DBA assistance if you don't have the rights to recreate the DB.
I do "Windows"
Respected Contributor
Tobias Schreiner
Message 5 of 7 (182 Views)

Hi Jon,

you should make sure you use the latest installation patch for your migration. This mitigates quite some risks we had in the original OMW 8.10 release.

You can reuse the database instance, but not the database: The un-installation of OMW 8.0 will remove the database, but leave the instance. The following OMW 8.10 installation can then be pointed to the same instance and will create a new database. If your installing user has privileges to create and remove databases, then you can install without DB Admin support.

Regards,

Tobias
Advisor
LStock
Message 6 of 7 (182 Views)

We attempted multiple time doing a OMW8.0 to 8.1 in place and never was successful. I think with Patch OMW_00019 a inplace is not even a option. I just had my DBA's give one user sysadmin rights and used that account to install the new load, they took the rights away after the install a patch 20 was on. I hope this helps.

Valued Contributor
Brandy Reid
Message 7 of 7 (182 Views)

Hi All,

I'm working on building an OMW Administrator's Networking / Contact List.

HP Support can be SLOW at times and not everyone looks at the ITRC everyday.

If you would like to participate in an OMW Administrators Distribution List, please let me know and I'll be sure to add your email address. We may be able to help each other out on common issues :)

Once the group is large enough, I'd like to work on a bi-weekly phone conference or live meeting.

Listed below is information about my environment:

Running OMW 7.5 and OMW 8.1 - we are working on cutting everything over to OMW 8.1

DBSPI SQL

DBSPI Oracle

Unix SPI

VMS SPI

Monitoring W2k, W2k3, and W2k8

Exchange SPI - Active Directory SPI

Thanks,
Brandy

brandy.reid@bmhcc.org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/brandyreid
Say "Thanks" by clicking on Kudo's to the left :)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.