Re: Suppressing different messages in OMU (95 Views)
Honored Contributor
ramesh9
Message 1 of 9 (199 Views)

Suppressing different messages in OMU

Hi All

We receive 2 different message from NNM into OMU and messages are,

Gateway device1-gw is down.

Gateway device primary device1-gw is down.

Now we need to suppress 2nd message,

Gateway device primary device1-gw is down.

if the 1st message is generated.

Only if the 1st message is not generated we need to send the 2nd message to OMU.

Is it possible in OMU.

Please help.

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
GTrejos7
Message 2 of 9 (151 Views)

Re: Suppressing different messages in OMU

Hello Ramesh,

I think that for this you will need to use Event Correlation Composer (ECS). Correlation Composer is  included with the standard OMU 9 distribution (you do not need to order it separately).  
The Composer is a front-end interface to a "super circuit",
which is to say that it is a single ECS circuit that can be used to create a family wide range of correlation rules.
In essence the Composer is fancy interface to ECS fact stores.

I hope you get a better answer.

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Goran Koruga
Message 3 of 9 (149 Views)

Hello.

Is the order in which these messages arrive always the same or not?

Regards,

Goran

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
ramesh9
Message 4 of 9 (135 Views)

Hi Goran

Order is same.

But our management insists not to use ECS that is the reason I am looking is there any other solution that can be done.

Thanks

Ramesh

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Goran Koruga
Message 5 of 9 (131 Views)

Hello.

So which message comes first?  Is a delay before a message is shown acceptable?

Regards,

Goran

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
ramesh9
Message 6 of 9 (119 Views)

Hello Goran

Message which comes first is,

Do you mean if there is 1 or 2 minute delay for showing the message,

If you mean it, yes it is OK.

Thanks

Ramesh

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Goran Koruga
Message 7 of 9 (109 Views)

Hello.

So if I understand this correctly, this is a case of not wanting to see the second message (and they always come in pair).

There are several ways to achieve this:

1. If messages can be marked as a duplicate, enable duplicate message suppression and set OPC_UPDATE_DUPLICATED_MSGTEXT to FALSE - the reason for this is that by default it's set to LAST_MESSAGE (this is true for OMU 9.x, not for OMU 8.x) and this means the text of the last duplicate message is shown in the browser rather than that of the first message (related configuration variable is OPC_UPDATE_DUPLICATED_SEVERITY). The way to ensure these two messages are the same is to use the same message key in both. This may obviously not play well with how you want to treat other messages.

2. Send the second messsage directly to the history browser. To do this either change the condition that generates it, or if you can't do that, you can do this using the "LOGONLY" operation via the outage file (alternative would be to supress it using the "SUPPRESS" operation, again via the outage file).

3. Write a custom application using OMU API-s to hook into the stream and discard the second message (/opt/OV/OpC/examples/progs/itosvmsitest.c is a good starting point). For this you would want to divert these two messages to MSI.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Goran

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
ramesh9
Message 8 of 9 (101 Views)

Hi Goran

Thanks for your suggestions.

3. Write a custom application using OMU API-s to hook into the stream and discard the second message (/opt/OV/OpC/examples/progs/itosvmsitest.c is a good starting point). For this you would want to divert these two messages to MSI.

If I want to do this what are the draw-backs. Does all messages coming to OVO server would be captured by this stream or only selected messages?

If you have any guides of how to write OMU API's to hook into the stream, please share with me.

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Goran Koruga
Message 9 of 9 (95 Views)

Hello.

The answer to your first question depends on your configuration/code.  If you enable only "Message Stream Interface (MSI)" then only messages which have the "Server MSI" flag set will be sent, but if you also enable the "Send all messages to Server MSI" option, then all messages are sent to MSI.  Next it also depends on your code - you can register to receive only messages which match your registration condition.

The easiest way to get started is to look at the example I mentioned:

/opt/OV/OpC/examples/progs/itosvmsitest.c

Your tool would do this:

1. Open MSI, just like method 2 - SV-MSI-readwrite in the example

2. Register to receive messages (see the "Register with registration condition" section).

3. Read the message and check it.  If you want to keep it, write it back to MSI, else ignore it (see the "read and modify message" section).

Regards,

Goran

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation