Re: Suppressing InfraSPI Auto-Add Messages (2000 Views)
Frequent Advisor
jdracy
Message 1 of 11 (2,096 Views)

Suppressing InfraSPI Auto-Add Messages

We are using InfraSPI 2.0 with OMW 8.16. Every day, when the discovery scheduled task runs on all of the nodes, a normal message is generated in the active message browser. This triggers an automatic action to add the node to the appropriate InfraSPI Managed Nodes folder. However, the action always fails because the node already exists in the folder, having been added when originally put under management.

My problem is this: If the node has already been added, the action should not be marked as a failure. Right now I am working in a small environment, but when I deploy this in a larger one I will be getting hundreds or thousands of these messages every night! Has anyone come up with a way to suppress these messages?

Valued Contributor
WW165056
Message 2 of 11 (2,084 Views)

Re: Suppressing InfraSPI Auto-Add Messages

Select the Message in the browser, right click on it -> Policy -> Create Suppression Condition.

Frequent Advisor
jdracy
Message 3 of 11 (2,082 Views)

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I know I can do that, or just have the messages sent to the acknowledged message browser. What I would really like is to be able to change the script so that, when a node can't be auto-added to a group because it is already in the group, it doesn't get flagged as an error and therefore sends a message to the active message browser.

Seems like this should have been seen when the SPI was in development, or else I'm missing something in the configuration.

Valued Contributor
WW165056
Message 4 of 11 (2,081 Views)

Hi, the message came in the active browser for me just once when i added the node for the first time in OMW.

InfraMessages Policy has the rule for it.

I am not sure why you are getting them daily  ..... 

Do you have the opcmsg template also assigned to the managed nodes, this would be triggreing unmatched messages also. Just to be on the safe side, i had this opcmsg template only on management server. On all the managed nodes i had only InfraMessage template alone, so that i dont get any unwanted alerts ...

Frequent Advisor
jdracy
Message 5 of 11 (2,079 Views)

We have the opcmsg policy deployed to all servers because we are using it to control the flow of internal messages, but you bring up an interesting point I had not thought about. The auto-add message comes in every time discovery is run on a node, which means every night at 2:00 AM.

I have an opportunity to test your idea now that I have a new agent to push out. I'll add a suppression rule to the opcmsg policy and see if the original - correct - message still comes in. I'll let you know how I make out.

Frequent Advisor
jdracy
Message 6 of 11 (2,078 Views)

I did my test and was not successful. The problem is that the messages come in through th InfraSPI's opcmsg policy (InfraSPI-Messages), not through the default opcmsg policy.

The bottom line, to me, is that a script is trying to add the node to the InfraSPI Managed Nodes groups, and it is not smart enough to realize that having the node already present is not really an error. Without going into the scripts, my choices seem to be to never see an auto-add message, or see all of them.

Did you make changes to the InfraSPI-Messages policy before deploying it? Or are you just not using it?

Frequent Advisor
jdracy
Message 7 of 11 (2,077 Views)

It seems that there are 2 rules in the InfraSPI-Messages policy: do auto-add with check and do auto-add without check. Because of the auto-add messages that are coming in, the script is always running without check. I haven't found any information on how the incoming messages are formatted (causing them to run without check) or on what the check is.

Valued Contributor
WW165056
Message 8 of 11 (2,028 Views)

HI, i just did check my infrs spi messages,

You can remove the condition : do Auto-Add check with check " .. and then deploy the policy on to the nodes, this would not create any error messages

The check action :

addnode.pl -nodes "<nodelist>" -group "<rootgroup>:<group>" -targetnode "<$MSG_NODE_NAME>" -check "<checksetting>"

This is trying to run the script to add the node everytime this rule is met, due to which u r getting errors.

I hope removing this , does not cause any issues.

Frequent Advisor
jdracy
Message 9 of 11 (2,021 Views)

WW165056 wrote:

HI, i just did check my infrs spi messages,

You can remove the condition : do Auto-Add check with check " .. and then deploy the policy on to the nodes, this would not create any error messages

The check action :

addnode.pl -nodes "<nodelist>" -group "<rootgroup>:<group>" -targetnode "<$MSG_NODE_NAME>" -check "<checksetting>"

This is trying to run the script to add the node everytime this rule is met, due to which u r getting errors.

I hope removing this , does not cause any issues.

I have the same question: What effect does blocking that rule have on InfraSPI functionality? Until I can answer that I won't be blocking the rule.

Anyone have any idea what the "checksetting" is?

Valued Contributor
Geert Blommen
Message 10 of 11 (2,006 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am seeing the same normal messages with failed actions every night at 2AM. However, of the 200 nodes, only 30-something fail every night.

When I restart the automatic command in the morning the command is successfull on the nodes.

This makes me suspect that there are just too many actions started at the same time and that is confusing OMW or Windows.

At the same time (2AM) a lot of little (lock?) files are created in c:\windows\temp directory and the system.txt error log tells me:

"

0: ERR: Sun Aug 14 02:00:57 2011: agtrep (11164/9136): (agtrep-41) Policy SI-SystemDiscovery already running - new request to run is ignored

0: WRN: Sun Aug 14 02:01:13 2011: opcacta (7572/2476): [genacta.c:395]: unlink(2) failed; cannot remove file C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\aao3096
System Error Number: 13 (d) - The data is invalid.
 (OpC30-513)

"

Too many actions at same time? Lock files that get mixed up?

Frequent Advisor
jdracy
Message 11 of 11 (2,000 Views)

That's an interesting thought. I checked the System.txt file for last night and saw that one node timed out. That one showed a message in the annotations indicating that there was a script error. However, all of the rest of mine have the following messages in annotations:

WARNING:  (NDUT1019) Group hierarchy path already exists

WARNING:  (NDUT1005) This node is already a member of the specified nodegroup

Warning: Unable to add nodes

Successfully deployed ovconf settings SI_OS_NODEGRP=failed for server.company.com

Like you, I'm not seeing it on every node. If my schedule allows, I want to compare a node that does not generate this message with one that does and see what the differences I can find.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.