Re: Question on opcmsg and email for duplicate messages (270 Views)
Honored Contributor
Sujith Kumar C.S
Message 1 of 9 (316 Views)
Accepted Solution

Question on opcmsg and email for duplicate messages

Hello,

Have two questions. Hope someone can throw some light here

1. Is opcmsg required on all boxes to interpret messages? If yes why? To me it is required only when testing messages as there is different opcmsg policies for different SPI's which can interpret the messages from the respective SPI's. The policies (opsmsg and OvSvcDiscErrorLog) under HPOM Self Management>en>Agent gets deployed automatically on its own everyday and is adding lot of failed jobs in the queue (FYI - We are on Server Pooling environment with two physical servers so if a policy is deployed by one management server other management server can remove this policy if "ignore policy owner" is checked). How to fix this?

I know if I take out these policies form this group, they dont get deployed. Is this the right solution? Is opcmsg required only for testing.

2. How to trigger email despite they are duplicates. I would like to trigger emails till the issue gets resolved despite its a duplicate.

Regards,

Sujith

Close the thread if your issue is resolved to make the thread meaningful and complete. Do show gratitude to people who helped you by assigning points.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sujith Kumar C.S
Message 2 of 9 (298 Views)

Re: Question on opcmsg and email for duplicate messages

I just found a KB related to question # 1

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1135588?searchIdentifier=-50c8ebb6%3a142e1164344...

Cause
The policies appear on the nodes because each night the policy VP_SM-Server_SyncAgentServices running on the Management Server deploys all policies from the folder 'Policy Groups > HPOM Self Management > en > Agent' to all agents.
Fix
If the requirement is for the policies in the 'Policy Groups > HPOM Self Management > en > Agent' not to be installed on the nodes each night, then remove the policies from the 'Policy Groups > HPOM Self Management > en > Agent' policy group and then they will no longer be automatically deployed.
Close the thread if your issue is resolved to make the thread meaningful and complete. Do show gratitude to people who helped you by assigning points.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
KAKA_2
Message 3 of 9 (294 Views)

Hello Sujith,

To disable automatic deployment of self-management policies
In the console tree, right-click Operations Manager, and then click ConfigureServer.... The Server Configuration dialog box opens.

Click Namespaces, and then click Self Management. A list of values appears.

Set the value of Auto Deploy Policies to False.

Is opcmsg required on all boxes to interpret messages?

>>>> Yes. to intercept messages opcmsg policy is required. Agent itself send many messages which needs opcmsg policy. Do you see any any problem having opcmsg installed?

-KAKA-

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sujith Kumar C.S
Message 4 of 9 (274 Views)

Thanks KAKA. Are you sure that opcmsg is must to intrepret agent related messages? This sends out too many bottleneck messages which comes out of PA and I dont want to see them.

Also, any info you have an email generation for duplicate messages?

--Sujith

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ram_21
Message 5 of 9 (270 Views)

Hello

Like Kaka has said you need the opcmsg policy on the node so you get proper alerts. If you are seeing lots of alerts that you do not care about then a better option would be to see what policy is sending the alert and modify it for your environment or using event correlation. This way your message browser is not flooded with unwanted messages.

As far as getting emails for duplicate messages - the out of box solution that comes with OMW does not give you this functionality. I have seen in some envronments they have built custom scripts to do this and you may have to build one as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ram

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sujith Kumar C.S
Message 6 of 9 (264 Views)

Thanks Ram! Sorry I am trying to gather more info on opcmsg. Is this policy reserved only for agent related messages? I know we can use it while testing messages.

Is there no way at all apart from using custom scripts? I want to be sure here before I proceed further.

--Sujith

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ram_21
Message 7 of 9 (259 Views)

Hello

The opcmsg policy is not used just for testing purposes.It is used by lot of out of box polcies and also agent and server messages.

There is no out of box solution for email forwarding of duplicate messages. It is documented in the OMW online help as well (see documentation related to FwdMsgAsEmail policy).

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ram

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
KAKA_2
Message 8 of 9 (257 Views)

I cant even imagine agent without opcmsg policy. you said you want to gather more information about opcmsg, i would say, Be specific and ask but keep opcmsg deployed. :)

-KAKA-
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sujith Kumar C.S
Message 9 of 9 (248 Views)

Thanks Guys! I have seen dedicated opcmsg policies for the respective SPI's. So I do not want to deploy this policy as it interprets all messages on node. Still wanted toc check if opsmsg is used by any policy other than for agent internal messages.

I think I got the answer. Thank you! I am closing this thread.

--Sujith

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation