Re: OVOW7.5 and SUN servers (83 Views)
Frequent Advisor
amralesawy
Message 1 of 6 (83 Views)

OVOW7.5 and SUN servers

i'm implementing OVOW7.5, and the customer asked be about the possibility of powering on the servers if they are shutdown due to electric cut or even normal shutdown. the servers are SUN. and they have management IP address that is used to power on these servers through a certain management interface.

another thing. there is a UPS that produces certain events or log on its management system. is there anyway to be able to take an action by the OVOW based on that specific event or log file to shutdown the servers monitored?
Trusted Contributor
John A. Myrna
Message 2 of 6 (83 Views)

Re: OVOW7.5 and SUN servers

I haven't worked with the Sun's managment interface, but I would assume that you could configure an automatic action in the event the server goes offline to run a script that would connect to the management interface and initiate a boot sequence. As for the automatic action you can script the action based on an alert you have tied to the UPC logging that could script a shutdown for all your servers.
Frequent Advisor
amralesawy
Message 3 of 6 (83 Views)

well, as far as i know that scripts to run, they run through the OVO agent installed on the managed node. how will this script run through the agent if the server is shutdown?
Occasional Advisor
M_Elkowayies
Message 4 of 6 (83 Views)

el salam alekem ,
yes you can do it by managing the workstation which is connected to the SUN server and responsible to do the power off/on .
so you need to manage that machine in order to run the script on it and not on the down server.
" start small ::: think big !"
Frequent Advisor
amralesawy
Message 5 of 6 (83 Views)

we alykom el salam mahmoud,

thanks for everyone reply.

do u have a sample from such a script?
i'm trying to search for a one on the internet, but i didnt find any. and the customer have no idea about what i'm talking about. everytime they logon to the management console, connect to the downserver through a management IP, and follow certain commands to boot the server.
Advisor
M.Elkawayies
Message 6 of 6 (83 Views)

there is no such sample for this kind of script .
simply create a small script and drop down all the manual command they are type or run there console with specific parameter
for example
supose the console are opend by xxx
then write in the script
xxx (command to which start the server ) (downserver name ) ( special parameter)
or if you couldn't you can suppose to the customer to make operation intiatied action and put in the target the console like and let the operation do it .
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.