Re: OMW Measurement Threshold Policy - MSG_SEV variable not returning correct value (959 Views)
Advisor
RShalini
Message 1 of 10 (1,016 Views)
Accepted Solution

OMW Measurement Threshold Policy - MSG_SEV variable not returning correct value

Hello Everyone,

We have OA 11.11 and when trying to use severity variable (<$MSG_SEV>) in OMW measurement threshold policy , it is not returning the correct severity of outgoing events.

Irrespective of the severity of outgoing events (either Critical/major/minor/Warning), the variable MSG_SEV is returning the default value "unknown".

Has any one of you encountered this issue.?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks,
Shalini

Honored Contributor
m_vidyasagar
Message 2 of 10 (983 Views)

Re: OMW Measurement Threshold Policy - MSG_SEV variable not returning correct value

Hi RShalini,

The <$MSG_SEV> value always returns the default value ..

For Measurement Threshold Policy the default value is Unknown .. Hence you are seeing the value of <$MSG_SEV> as Unknown despite the Severity is Critical/Major/Minor etc..

Same is the case with Open Message Interface Policy , the default value of  <$MSG_SEV> is Normal ..

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. -- Benjamin Franklin
Occasional Visitor
Shalini_
Message 3 of 10 (979 Views)

Re: OMW Measurement Threshold Policy - MSG_SEV variable not returning correct value

Hi Vidyasagar,

Thank you for the response. 

Could you please let me know whether there is any possiblity to get the outgoing message severity in  a message variable. My purpose is to use this with variable with the automatic action and message Key.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Shalini

HP Expert
Carlos_Pinto
Message 4 of 10 (970 Views)

Hello,

When creating polices you can specify the severity of the message.

Please see the attached screen capture for more information.

Please also refer to the OMW online help documents:

- Configure actions in log file entry policies

- Configure tasks in scheduled task policies

If you do a search by "MSG_SEV" more information will be shown.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution

If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs

Advisor
RShalini
Message 5 of 10 (965 Views)

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your reponse.

My issue is that , as mentioned in the screenshot , I am defining the threshold in the policy and the outgoing message return me the right severuty assigned.

But I need to use the severity of this message in Message Key pattern and in Automatic action and hence I am trying to find out the variable name to grab the severity of the outgoing message. But unfortunately MSG_SEV variable is not returning the severity of outgoing message and it returns me the out-of-box default value "Unknown".

Attaching the screenshot.

Thanks,

Shalini Rajendran

Honored Contributor
m_vidyasagar
Message 6 of 10 (959 Views)

RShalini,

The solution which you are looking for is yet to implement i.e. still under the investigation process , refer the below KB for more detail :

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00644458

As of now the MSG_SEV value return only the policy defaults, not the actual value that is set in the condition.

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. -- Benjamin Franklin
Honored Contributor
m_vidyasagar
Message 7 of 10 (958 Views)

I suggest you to try the alternate Message Keys as the Enhancement Request is still under investigation ..

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Occasional Visitor
Shalini_
Message 8 of 10 (950 Views)

Hi Vidaysagar,

Thank you for the update.

This is the same problem that we have which is submitted for enhancement request. :( So I understand currently no solution is available for this issue for OA 11.11. We too have the same version of agent in our environment which is OA11.11

Regards, 

Shalini

HP Expert
Carlos_Pinto
Message 9 of 10 (938 Views)

Hello,

As mentioned before the agent team need to work on the ER

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00644458

Latest patch for 11.11 its 11.13 but no hotfix included once this is still under investigation.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution

If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs

Occasional Visitor
Shalini_
Message 10 of 10 (936 Views)

Hi Carlos,

We opened a case with HP Support on this, Hope we will get an update on the enhancement release.

Thank you for the help again Carlos and Vidyasagar

Thanks,

Shalini Rajendran

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.