Re: Migration from OM/Unix (HP-UX) 8.35 to OM/Linux 9.10 (911 Views)
Advisor
Tim Magee
Message 1 of 9 (990 Views)

Migration from OM/Unix (HP-UX) 8.35 to OM/Linux 9.10

Can anyone please provide me with any tips/gotchas for the subject or point me to a presentation that discusses it?

Thanks,

-Tim

HP Expert
Cheese-Triangle
Message 2 of 9 (933 Views)

Re: Migration from OM/Unix (HP-UX) 8.35 to OM/Linux 9.10

Hello there,

The most obvious thing to mention is the Motif interface has been replaced by a web browser interface (AdminUI) which replaces the Motif interface for configuration.  Operators aer not able to use Motif interface which has been replaced with with only the JavaGUI.  OMU9 also introduces policy versions, this is where you can have one or more version of the same policy - OMW has had it for ages so there isn't too much to worry about.  There are some more changes but nothing which is going to stop you upgrading.

I found the AdminUI difficult to start with, but now I think it's lots better than the Motif interface - it's quicker and offers much more functionality.  I find OML much faster than on Solaris and HP-UX and because it can be simply virtualised, it makes life much easier.

I would review the release notes, and if you have any specific questions then reply to this thread and I'll try to answer. 

Thanks,

Duncan

Frequent Visitor
ChristophK
Message 3 of 9 (927 Views)

Hi,

details about the OM 8 migration to OML 9.10 can be found in the Operations Manager Installation Guide OMU9.10_Linux_Installation.pdf  Open this result in new window

In chapter 8 you can find the details.

Please see the release notes additionally

Operations Manager Release Notes OMU9.10_Linux_ReleaseNotes.pdf  Open this result in new window

Hope this helps

Christoph

Advisor
Tim Magee
Message 4 of 9 (923 Views)

Thanks for the tips. We also use OMW 8.1x here so we are familiar with it and new policy format also. Do you have any warnings for parts of the migration from OMU that don't work so well?
Advisor
Tim Magee
Message 5 of 9 (923 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I have glanced at the manual and release notes. I was more interested in "undocumented" behavior or steps of the migration that may be tricky or don't work so well. Anything to beware of?
HP Expert
Cheese-Triangle
Message 6 of 9 (919 Views)

Hello there,

Iv'e done a few upgrades now, and I've not come over any real gotchas that are not mentioned in the release notes.  If you are going to OML, then it's quite quick to install under VMware and try a migration to see how it goes, while getting used to the new AdminUI, along with versioning and some of the other new features and glut of CLIs.

The biggest problem I've found is making sure SPIs and agent version/OS types are supported, along with any software is integrated in NNM 7.x.  Other things to consider would be moving to OA11 (now the first patch is out) on the server at least so you can get used to some of the functioanlity improvements offered here.

I hope you get a better answer,

Duncan

HP Expert
Cheese-Triangle
Message 7 of 9 (917 Views)

Forgot to mention:

OPC_NEW_NAMERES and OPC_NEW_NAMERES_NO_LOOKUP

...this is importaint and changes the way nodes are looked up when messages arrive along with some tools like opcnode. :-)
Advisor
Tim Magee
Message 8 of 9 (913 Views)

Great! Thanks for the info.
Advisor
Tim Magee
Message 9 of 9 (911 Views)

Thanks -I'll check into these parms.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.