Re: INODE Utilization Monitoring in OM9 - Anyone doing this? (577 Views)
Advisor
lprice3
Message 1 of 10 (611 Views)

INODE Utilization Monitoring in OM9 - Anyone doing this?

I'm finding that some monitoring templates/policies that were in OVO8 are not in OM9.   I was told by someone at IBM that OM9 was not a direct replacement of OVO8. 

Anyway, Is anyone doing INODE Utilization Monitoring?   Can you share what you have done?  I'm having a bit of a time with this and need some help.

LeRoy

Honored Contributor
Goran Koruga
Message 2 of 10 (601 Views)

Re: INODE Utilization Monitoring in OM9 - Anyone doing this?

Hello.

Should be easily doable by writing a script that parses 'df' output (typical option used for it would be "-i" or "-o i").

Regards,

Goran

Advisor
lprice3
Message 3 of 10 (592 Views)

What about leveraging the Scope data, in particular: FS_INODE_UTIL?  How would that be accomplished?

LeRoy

HP Expert
tobias_m
Message 4 of 10 (577 Views)

Hello,

OMU 9.x is the next release of OMU 8.x (or OVO 8.x). OMU 9.x comes with a different set of default policies, for example OMU 9.x comes with the Infrastructure SPI while OMU 8.x came witht the meanwhile obsolete OS SPI.

But, if you download your complete configuration from OMU 8.x and upload it in OMU 9.x in the course of the upgrade or migration (e.g. to a different system or OS), you can continue to use all the OMU 8.x templates if you want to. Long term it's of course recommended that you switch to the Infra SPI as it has more features and is still being maintained.

The templates are now called policies. They are versioned and are stored as header and body (like it was already done in OMW). And Threshold Monitors in OMU 8.x are converted to Advanced Threshold Monitors and thus look a little bit different and might have slightly different functionality. But other than that all the OMU 8.x templates that were uploaded on OMU 9.x are still working the same.

Best regards,

Tobias

HP Expert
Ramkumar Devanathan
Message 5 of 10 (572 Views)

Folks - the InfraSPI did contain inode monitoring policy in 1 of the earlier versions. This was removed due to some complexities in setting thresholds. It is planned to be added back.

Since the question arose on using the metric FS_INODE_UTIL  - yes it is definitely possible to monitor the metric and send out alerts when inode usage meets / exceeds certain threshold.

For example implementation have a look at the SI-DiskCapacityMonitor policy.

HTH

- ramd

HP Software Rocks!
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 6 of 10 (530 Views)

>Is anyone doing INODE Utilization Monitoring?

What type of filesystem still needs INODE monitoring?  VXFS doesn't by default.  HFS does.

HP Expert
Ramkumar Devanathan
Message 7 of 10 (526 Views)

Dennis that's interesting. Thanks for bringing that up. How about ext3, jfs, zfs? There's quite a few fs types - how to determine if inode monitoring is required? Can we say that journalling file systems in genetal do not require inode monitoring?
HP Software Rocks!
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 8 of 10 (523 Views)

>How about ext3, jfs, zfs? There's quite a few fs types - how to determine if inode monitoring is required?

Well, you can read the documentation.  :-)

I had a script to check for filesystem and inode exhaustion and I had to do special for VXFS to ignore those.

HP Expert
Ramkumar Devanathan
Message 9 of 10 (519 Views)

>> Well, you can read the documentation.  :-)

Point taken - I am sure documentation will fix all the problems we get :).

No that's not my point - question really is  - are there some tell-tale indications -like for instatnce - df -i will always return 100% util (or does not work at all)...

- RamD

HP Software Rocks!
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 10 of 10 (502 Views)

>are there some tell-tale indications, like for instance - df -i will always return 100% util

No, it gives reasonable values.  It's just when it's full, vxfs will make more inodes.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.