Re: HPOM MMC Snap-in does not responding (HPOM 9.0 on Windows 2012) (390 Views)
Occasional Advisor
ajayasenapati
Message 1 of 7 (462 Views)

HPOM MMC Snap-in does not responding (HPOM 9.0 on Windows 2012)

Hi,

I have installed HPOM 9.0 on Windows 2012 with OA 11.12 and SQL Server 2012. Database and Management Station are installed in two separate systems (distributed). Very frequently we are observing that the HPOM console is not responding.

Though the console is already open, but it does not allow us to select anything on the console or closing the console it-self. During those times, we observed that the WMI queries are taking longer times to respond as well.

I used the command "vpstat -3" and found all the services are active. With command "ovc -status" I found all the services are in running condition. There are only 4200 messages in the  active browser.

I have to kill the HPOM MMC process from Task Manager, so that I can re-open and view the HPOM console again.

Wondering, what causes the HPOM console to hang ?

And why the WMI queries taking longer time to respond during that time.

What should we do to avoid this? Will there be any log to analyse the same?

Any help on this is really appreciated.

Regards,

Ajaya

Honored Contributor
Ram_21
Message 2 of 7 (450 Views)

Re: HPOM MMC Snap-in does not responding (HPOM 9.0 on Windows 2012)

Hello

What is the OMW server patch level?

When you see the issue launch WBEMTEST and connect to 'root\cimv2' and see if you can successfully run queries like

select * from Win32_LogicalDiskselect * from Win32_LogicalDisk

Also connect to namespace "root\hewlettpackard\openview\data" and run query like

select * from OV_Message

Do either of this work? Especially the first one as you are querying Windows namespace and it maybe a WMI tuning issue.

Also check the event log to see if there are any entries that could explain the WMI issues.

Hope this helps you narrow down what could be causing the issue.

Regards
Ram

HP Expert
Carlos_Pinto
Message 3 of 7 (446 Views)

Hello,

Related with your questions:

Wondering, what causes the HPOM console to hang ?

Please verify if you leave it running if the console responds later once it may be still busy ?

Please make sure the OMW server and all the remote consoles have the latest patch which is:

mgmt srv/cons 09.00.110   OMW_00178

[KM00482570 OMW_00178 Mgmt Srv/Cons 09.00.110 Product: operations manager for windows; Version: 9.00; OS: Windows; Critical: Yes Windows 9.00

and its available on:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00482570

And why the WMI queries taking longer time to respond during that time.

You can improve the WMI perform by following the steps from:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1003682

What should we do to avoid this? Will there be any log to analyses the same?

You can enable trace of the MMC and also use the tool "OvConsoleTroubleShooter.exe"

Please refer to support document  for more information:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1436979

Hope this information helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs.

Occasional Advisor
ajayasenapati
Message 4 of 7 (425 Views)

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the response.

We have applied all the required patches applied on the system. Here is the patch list.

OAWIN_00030 OMW_00098 OMW_00100 OMW_00118 OMW_00120 OMW_00122 OMW_00124 OMW_00132 OMW_00139 OMW_00143 OMW_00145 OMW_00150 OMW_00151 OMW_00159 OMW_00170 OMW_00176 OMW_00178 OMW_00184

I have gone through the document mentioned in http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1003682. I found this targets to Windows 2008 R2. Are there similar document exists for Windows 2012? If not, can we follow the steps mentioned in section "Adapt the WMI Configuration" for Windows 2012 Management Station. If the Management Station & SQL Server Database exists in two different system, do we need to apply in both the places?

Thanks for introducing me to the tool "OvConsoleTroubleShooter.exe". This is indeed a good one. Please help me how can I enable tracing of the MMC?

Are there exists any MMC specific hotfixes for HPOM 9.0 on Windows2012?

Regards,

Ajaya

HP Expert
Carlos_Pinto
Message 5 of 7 (419 Views)

Hello,

The patch level is correct and seems the most updated so please make sure in each remote console as the same management server/console patch as the OMW server.

Related with your questions:

" If not, can we follow the steps mentioned in section "Adapt the WMI Configuration" for Windows 2012 Management Station"

As you can see for windows 2012 there is no official documentation but most of the steps should be applicable so if  this changes are done please make a full server backup so you can restore to the original server state in case of any related issue (The changes are done only on the OMW server and not on any remote database system).

"Please help me how can I enable tracing of the MMC?"

To trace the MMC consoles the suggested steps are:

1.open a command prompt

2.cd %OvInstallDir%\support

3.Run: ovtrcgui

4.Click Cancel to exit the Wizard

5.Click on File -> New -> Trace Configuration

6.Double-click on Add Applications to trace

7.Select "MMC" from the Application list and click OK

8.In the Configuration Window select all component click Max

9.Click on the Sink tab and enter the path and name of trace file in File Name

ex:

c:\temp\MMC.trc

Please use the max size of  50 MB (this is the advisable size) and  select for example 100 historical files (this depends on the amount of data logged).

Related with hotfixes there is one that should help that is:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/LID/QCCR1A166072

You need to raise a support call to ask for this hotfix.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs.

Occasional Advisor
HariSharma
Message 6 of 7 (395 Views)

Hi,

I am also facing same issue where MMC Snap-in hangs, unable to perform any action on HPOM Management Server Console. I can see there are few Event ID: 1024 events in Windows "Event Viewer".

Description of Event is something like

"Error: IWbemServices{0000000003885F10}->GetObject({OV_ElementState.ElementPath="OV_Service.Name=\"Test@@{4BA21BBD-BEE6-45F1-9A70-ABEF430C8E38}\""}) took 28524 seconds to return!"

Please help me to resolve this issue, thanks is advance.

Regards,

Hari Sharma

HP Expert
Carlos_Pinto
Message 7 of 7 (390 Views)

Hello,

Can you please make sure you follow the steps from my last post in this topic.

Please also consult the document

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00762924

Which contains extremely useful steps.

On Step 4 you will see the guides you can use to optimize the server and WMI so please make this changes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.