HP OMW 9.0 DR setup guide (188 Views)
Super Advisor
HanumantMadane
Message 1 of 11 (188 Views)

HP OMW 9.0 DR setup guide

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with OMW DR setup guide, I could not found it on product manuals on portal.

Thanks!

Hanumant

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
m_vidyasagar
Message 2 of 11 (183 Views)

Re: HP OMW 9.0 DR setup guide

DR Setup is quite easy , all you need to do :

(1) Exchange the Certificates on the mgmt servers..

(2) Export the configuration dump from the primary and then upload to secondary(DR) ..

(3) Updating the trusted certificate on all the agents ..

(4) Creating the flexible-Mgmt policy and then deploying on all the agents..

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. -- Benjamin Franklin
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ram_21
Message 3 of 11 (178 Views)

Hello

You can find details in the OMW Online help topic "backup and restore" as well for what you can to handle DR situations.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ram

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
HanumantMadane
Message 4 of 11 (174 Views)

Thanks a lot Vidyasagar and Ram..this will help me to proceed further.

Thanks!!
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
HanumantMadane
Message 5 of 11 (164 Views)

Hi,

got another query that, if it's all manual work for moving actiive OMW from DC to DR, please correct if if i am wrong.

or is there any automation. we have to manually start stop OMW services in DR.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
HanumantMadane
Message 6 of 11 (161 Views)

Hi Vidyasagar/Ram,

I gone through restore.backup steps but could not find any steps given by Vidyasagar, there three types of backups,

1)Full system backup (offline backup)--->not possible all time, hence cannot be used
2)HPOM management server backup (online backup)--->need DR system with same Hostname which is again not possible, as we will have DR system with different hostname
3)l Database backup (online backup)--->only possible way

as per second step given by Vidyasagar, we have to import config dump from primary, whiich config dump are we talking here about.

Please help to understand.

Hanumant
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ram_21
Message 7 of 11 (154 Views)

Hello

You may want to consider server pooling and or Log Shipping for if the second OMW server is going to be there when the primary is up and running then this may be a better option. You can see details of Server Pooling again in OMW online help (search for server pooling or log shipping) and also I believe there is a whitepaper in the OMW product manuals website

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1014813?searchIdentifier=-6bdc323%3a143bea4ed4d%...

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ram

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
m_vidyasagar
Message 8 of 11 (143 Views)

Response to the 2nd post :

Hi,

got another query that, if it's all manual work for moving actiive OMW from DC to DR, please correct if if i am wrong.

or is there any automation. we have to manually start stop OMW services in DR.

Yes, there are some steps that you need to perform , whenever the DC Server goes down , you need to manually run the "opcragt -primmgr -all" command from the DR Server , after the command execution all the agent start sending the alert to the DR Server ..

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. -- Benjamin Franklin
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
m_vidyasagar
Message 9 of 11 (140 Views)

Response to the 3rd Post :

Hi Vidyasagar/Ram,

I gone through restore.backup steps but could not find any steps given by Vidyasagar, there three types of backups,

1)Full system backup (offline backup)--->not possible all time, hence cannot be used
2)HPOM management server backup (online backup)--->need DR system with same Hostname which is again not possible, as we will have DR system with different hostname
3)l Database backup (online backup)--->only possible way

as per second step given by Vidyasagar, we have to import config dump from primary, whiich config dump are we talking here about.

Please help to understand.

Let me explain clearly once again :

(1) Exchange the Trusted Certificates on both the mgmt servers ..

>> Refer the "Configure trusted certificates for multiple management servers" topic in Online Help

(2) Export the configuration dump from the primary and then upload to secondary(DR) ..

>> Use the ovpmutil Command to download the configuration items like Nodes , Policies , Tools , User Roles etc from the DC Server and Upload on the DR Server Periodically so that whenever you add any new node or new policy in DC the same would reflect in DR as configuration synch ..

(3) Updating the trusted certificate on all the agents ..

>> On the existing agent nodes in DC ( After completion of Step 1 ) you have to run the "ovcert -updatetrusted" , refer the "Configure trusted certificates for multiple management servers" topic in Online Help , after doing this you can see the trusted certificate of the DR Server as well in the agent certificate list ..

(4) Creating the flexible-Mgmt policy and then deploy on all the agents..

>>  Refer the Online Help , you can alter the Out of Box Policy :

Capture1.JPG

(5) Synch the database if the old alerts are important to you ..

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
HanumantMadane
Message 10 of 11 (106 Views)

thanks a lot Vidyasagar for detailed, explaination..

can you clarify "sync the database" means if we want the old lert then , we will take backup of DB from DC and restore it to DR, that's what you mean right?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
m_vidyasagar
Message 11 of 11 (105 Views)

Yes !!

If you go for the server pooling as suggested by Ram then this is not necessary as it will automatically synch the DB ( Log Shipping method , steps are clearly mentioned on how to enable the log shipping ) , if you choose not to go for server pooling then you have to manually import and export the DB from DC to DR ..

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation