Re: Flexible Agent Policy Help - Trying to send message to 2 different OM Managers (4969 Views)
Occasional Contributor
cheryl_canada
Message 1 of 8 (5,039 Views)
Accepted Solution

Flexible Agent Policy Help - Trying to send message to 2 different OM Managers

Hi,

We have this flexible agent msgforward file created that has been working without issue when there is only one MSGTARGETMANAGER:

#new msgtargetrules to dictate msggrp="Some_DB_MSG_Group" forwards to CIBC OML
MSGTARGETRULES
 MSGTARGETRULE
        DESCRIPTION "Forward DB Messages to Server A"
MSGTARGETRULECONDS
MSGTARGETRULECOND
 DESCRIPTION "Forward DB Messages to Server A"
 MSGGRP "Some_DB_MSG_Group"
MSGTARGETMANAGERS
 MSGTARGETMANAGER
 TIMETEMPLATE "$OPC_ALWAYS"
  OPCMGR IP 0.0.0.0 "Server A" ID "blah blah blah"

However when I add the following directly under the line above for server B, it does not evaluate at all:

MSGTARGETMANAGER
  OPCMGR IP 0.0.0.0 "Server B" ID "blah1 blah1 blah1"

Why is this?  I read somewhere here on HP Connections that you cannot send the same message to 2 different managers?  Is that true?  We have checked the following:

- trusted certs updated from both Server A and B on node

- proper permissions set for message group

- node set up properly as message allowed on both Server A and Server B

- Server A can bbcutil to node but Server B can not (and I dont believe it should matter?)

- node can bbcutil to Server A and Server B successfully

- Server A set up properly on Server B

We also did a trace and it correctly sends to Server A but I dont even see an entry for Server B - I would expect to see a failure of some sort.   Restarted ovc on Server B, have yet to test again. 

If I cannot do the above, how do I accomplish sending to 2 different managers at the same time?  Do I create a second msg forward file with only one MSGTARGETMANAGER and link that file to the node as well?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Occasional Contributor
cheryl_canada
Message 2 of 8 (5,026 Views)

Re: Flexible Agent Policy Help - Trying to send message to 2 different OM Managers

Update: restart of ovc on Server B did not help.  Looking to do a restart of ovc on Server A (but I'm not sure that will help).  Trace files shows nothing of hitting Server B.

HP Expert
Carlos_Pinto
Message 3 of 8 (5,023 Views)

Re: Flexible Agent Policy Help - Trying to send message to 2 different OM Managers

Hello,

Per product design its only possible to the agent send a message to one server at the time.

But you can use forward message between servers OMW and OMU also.

For available solution please consult the "Using HP Operations Manager in a

Flexible Management Environment (The “MoM Cookbook”)" available at:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM48424

Pleas also refer to the online Help and respective product documentation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support 

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs.

Occasional Contributor
cheryl_canada
Message 4 of 8 (5,017 Views)

Thank you for your reply.  Before I mark as accepted solution, I dont understand why on HP Support it refers to having more than one manager if it is the same condition:

Knowledge document information
Title: How to send the same message to multiple management. servers with message forwarding
Document ID: KM85001 Product: Operations Manager for UNIX Version: 6.0x,7.0 OS: HP-UX,Sun Solaris
Updated: 2003-Jul-15

What syntax is used in the msgforw template to get a message to be forwarded to multiple management servers? 

Solution

A message comes into the source management server (Server A) and from there it needs to be forwarded to two more management servers (Server B and Server C).  When a message comes in and is analyzed by the message forwarding template it will stop processing the message as soon as it matches a message condition.  To get a message to go to multiple servers one cannot have several conditions each with a different management server specified as the target since the message will stop being processed as soon as it matches a condition and will not reach the other conditions. So for one condition in the msgforw template multiple target managers will have to be specified in order to get one message forwarded to several servers.

Example msgforw template:

MSGTARGETRULES

MSGTARGETRULE

MSGTARGETRULECONDS

MSGTARGETRULECOND

OBJECT "test"

MSGTARGETMANAGERS ###### Here is where you will specify both servers. Notice it is plural.

MSGTARGETMANAGER

OPCMGR IP 0.0.0.0 "serverB"

MSGCONTROLLINGMGR

MSGTARGETMANAGER

OPCMGR IP 0.0.0.0 "serverC"

MSGCONTROLLINGMGR

With this configuration all message that come into the source server (Server A) with the object set to 'test' will be sent to Server B and Server C.  The syntax "MSGCONTROLLINGMGR" is optional, depending on whether one wants Server B and server C to have control of the message once it is forwarded.

Isnt this what I am trying to accomplish?

Why have the TARGETMANAGERS (plural) if you cant specify more than one? 

HP Expert
Carlos_Pinto
Message 5 of 8 (5,009 Views)

Hello,

Please notice this is the used syntax for more information besides the

“MoM Cookbook”)" available at:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM48424

You can also consult the OMW online help for the topics:

- Configure message forwarding

- Example server-based flexible management policies

- Syntax of agent-based flexible management policies

Along with the MoM cookbook this explains the possible configuration between servers.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs.

Honored Contributor
Goran Koruga
Message 6 of 8 (4,991 Views)

Hello.

With recent agent versions it's possible to do this.  It needs to be enabled using the OPC_BACKUP_MGRS_FAILOVER_ONLY setting.  See this post:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Systems-Management-OpenView-OP/Are-multi-homed-agents-possible/m-p/6233...

Regards,

Goran

Trusted Contributor
SB_RRK
Message 7 of 8 (4,988 Views)

You can achive it through server pooling. Refer the document "Operations Manager White Paper High Availability through Server Pooling"

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1021908

Occasional Contributor
cheryl_canada
Message 8 of 8 (4,969 Views)

Thanks to everyone for replying.  Indeed it looks like it can only be one manager.  I find it odd that the KB article suggest otherwise.  Anyhow while the other suggestions are good, eventually we just want it to send to just one manager (just to 2 different managers for testing purposes) so I'm not going to spend too much time in investigating.  But by creating another file with just one manger and linking that file to a different server we are able to confirm only one manager can be identified.

Thanks for help.  

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.