FS_DIRNAME_ALLOCATED(Windows) not updated when disk extended (257 Views)
Trusted Contributor
David Barrington
Message 1 of 6 (257 Views)

FS_DIRNAME_ALLOCATED(Windows) not updated when disk extended

When a Windows drive is extended, the metric FS_DIRNAME_ALLOCATED is not re-evaluated.  This causes false alerts from  the SI disk space monitoring policies which read this value.

When I restarted the agent, the disk size was re-calculated correctly.  Obviously I don't want to have to restart the agent every time a disk is extended (which we frequently do, now that is quite easy with a SAN).

Agent version is 11.05.005, Windows.

David
Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Ramkumar Devanathan
Message 2 of 6 (253 Views)

Re: FS_DIRNAME_ALLOCATED(Windows) not updated when disk extended

Valid point David. Please raise this as a support case - one of 2 possibilities can flow out of that.

1. Either the lab has already fixed this in the latest version (unlikely - i did not hear of such a fix so far), or 2. this gets fixed soon.

Hope this helps.

- ramd.

HP Software Rocks!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
David Barrington
Message 3 of 6 (245 Views)

Thanks Ram.  I  did look at the release notes for 11.11 and 11.12 but nothing there.

[ and of course I meant FS_MAX_SIZE ..]

But - I did find the following in the OAWIN_00030 patch notes (we have not implemented 11.11/11.12 yet because we are waiting to move to OMW9).   Upgrading to 11.12 might be the solution but it's a bit drastic for us at present and I'd rather have a patch or hotfix for 11.05....   Do you think this is related?-

Change Request: QCCR1A158028
  The "SI_DiskCapacityMonitor" policy is reporting
  incorrect disk space utilization on some of the file
  servers. It is reporting "Free space on disk = 0 MB" when
  there are plenty of disk space available on the drive.
  When "ovcodautil -dumpds SCOPE" is run on the server, the
  results for the drive in question is:

FS_BLOCK_SIE = 4096
  FS_MAX_SIZE = 819200
  FS_SPACE_UTIL = 100.00
  FS_SPACE_USED = 16731957

Here the FS_SPACE_USED is higher than FS_MAX_SIZE.This is
  causing the "SI_DiskCapacityMonitor" policy to generate
  an alert for zero disk space when there are more then 400
  GB of disk space available.
David
Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Rotax
Message 4 of 6 (237 Views)

Hello David,

The CR that you mention is for a different problem.

However, support for dynamic shrinking or extending file systems was added in OA 11.12 indeed.

There were actually 2 related fixes going into this version:

QCCR1A158592 FS_MAX_SIZE shows the wrong value when file system size is Extended or Shrinked
QCCR1A159090 Dynamically changed File system block size(FS_BLOCK_SIZE) is not reflecting.

For some reason these documents are not visible externally, but have been consolidated in the "very descriptive" document QCCR1A160720.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Thierry.

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
David Barrington
Message 5 of 6 (210 Views)

Thank you - that sounds like we are on the right track.  I have an HP case in progress, but having difficulty deploying the hotfixed package.  I will report back when I've made some progress.

David
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
David Barrington
Message 6 of 6 (150 Views)

The hotfix application has proved to be very troublesome so have abandoned this solution.

On Windows 2008 and above, a better solution is to upgrade to agent 11.12, as already mentioned.

However, upgrading an agent on Windows 2003 will only go to 11.11 - it cannot apply the patch for 11.12.

I think we will just have to live with the workaround - to clear and restart when a Windows 2003 disk is extended.

David

David
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation