Re: Configuring mail alerts (571 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Mehul5
Message 1 of 12 (624 Views)

Configuring mail alerts

We want to configure mail alerts in hp-ux servers such that a mail should be sent to some pre-defined recipients when the file systems mounted on each of them cross 90% utilization.
Honored Contributor
Ram_21
Message 2 of 12 (595 Views)

Re: Configuring mail alerts

Hello

What is the OM server that is managing the HP-UX node?

If it is OM-Windows management server then you can use the combination of SI SPI and FwdMsgAsEmail policy. The SI SPI policy will alert based on the file system usage. You can configure FwdMsgAsEmail policy to look for the alert coming in from SI SPI and then forward it to any emails that you have configured within the policy. Check OM help on both these and you can see how to configure it.

If you have OM-U/L management server then it has similar approach. Check the product documentation to see the equivalent policies.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ram

Frequent Advisor
Mehul5
Message 3 of 12 (578 Views)

Hi Ram, Thank you for providing the solution but can you please tell me what is this OM server, SI SPI and FwdMsgAsEmail policy and how to check what is the OM server that is managing the HP-UX node. Please state the full forms along with their significance as I am unaware of all these terms and also HP-UX since I am new in HP and I dnt have any knowledge and experience in it. Since this is customer;s requirement I have to do this. Thanks & Regards, Mehul
Honored Contributor
m_vidyasagar
Message 4 of 12 (571 Views)

What is OM server means what is platform on which your OM application is running i.e. windows or Linux ?

If your OM is running on Windows we call it as OMW ( Operations Manager for Windows )

If your OM is running on HP-UX we call it as OVO\OMU ( Operations Manager for Unix )

If your OM is running on RHEL we call it as OVO\OML ( Operations Manager for Linux )

Let us know which is ur OM ? So that we can guide you ..

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. -- Benjamin Franklin
Frequent Advisor
Mehul5
Message 5 of 12 (543 Views)

Hello Vidyasagar, Thanx for providing the solution. Before answering your question first of all I would like to ask where is the OM manager installed I mean where to check whether the OM is installed or not. Secondly the servers we have here are all Unix servers with OS 11.31. Also I would like to tell you that we dont have openview software installed here but glance,mwa and extract all are running. Regards, Mehul.
Honored Contributor
m_vidyasagar
Message 6 of 12 (536 Views)

Gotcha !! As per my understanding , you don't any openview installed in your environment and you want the mail to be sent from the HP-UX Servers directly when the FS exceeds its utilization using the PA ( mwa is the old name ) , Am I right ??

I have one more question : You want to configure the mail settings on the HP-UX and you dont know , then post the query in the below forums , you would get the solution :

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/General/bd-p/itrc-17#.Ut9jQfS6Zok

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Messaging/bd-p/itrc-152#.Ut9jBfS6Zok

After configuring the Mail Daemon on the HP-UX , you can use the MWA/PA Sotware to know the status of the FS Utilization , use the below command to display the data collected by the PA and then grep the values which you need and then use them in the Mailing command ..

ovcodautil -dumpds SCOPE

Hope this helps you..

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. -- Benjamin Franklin
Frequent Advisor
Mehul5
Message 7 of 12 (526 Views)

Hello Vidyasagar, Thank you once again for providing the solution as simple as possible. No i dont know wheteher mwa is called now as pa but i want to make one thing clear that glance,mwa(pa),maildaemon,scope-ux,coda,etc..... all are running but there is no license fo OVPA. Regards, Mehul
Honored Contributor
m_vidyasagar
Message 8 of 12 (522 Views)

OVPA,Glance comes together with the HP-UX V3 Series , not sure whether you need the OVPA license in case of HP-UX OS's ...

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Honored Contributor
Pat Campbell
Message 9 of 12 (511 Views)

If you have OVPA you can configure alerts in the /var/opt/perf/alarmdef file to send mail.  There are examples in the default alarmdef.

Frequent Advisor
Mehul5
Message 10 of 12 (456 Views)

Hello Vidyasagar & Pat,

Thank you both of you for providing the info. I would like to mention that even if we have glance and everything installed but in the SAID the open view support is not showing for the customer where I am working.

I confirmed with the backend team regarding this whether the open view software support comes by default or we have to separately inastall its licensed version.They also told that this software doesnt come by default.

Please suggest for this and also confirm whether we have to install separately with license and if yes whether there will be costing which is to be bourne by the customer or not.

Regards,

Mehul

Honored Contributor
m_vidyasagar
Message 11 of 12 (451 Views)

Thanks for the informing that glance doesn't come with the HP-UX OS ..

Few years back I worked with a client who used to clone the HP-UX OS which consisited the Glance ( So I might have mistaken here that glance is a part of OS , however they did mentioned that Glance needs license ) ..

For using the PA software , you need to purchase the HP Operations OS Inst Performance LTU license : 

This LTU enables you to use only the Performance Collection Component component of the HP Operations agent. This LTU enables you to monitor the performance of a standalone system.

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 12 of 12 (419 Views)

>Thanks for the informing that glance doesn't come with the HP-UX OS

Depending on what OE you have, glance may be bundled.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.