Re: Availability of HP Operations Manager 8.x for Unix? (353 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Craig C Lee
Message 1 of 5 (371 Views)

Availability of HP Operations Manager 8.x for Unix?

Does anyone know where I can get the Media for HP Operations Manager 8.x for Unix? 

My company recently took on a project where we need to support an integration for for HPOM8-9. 

When building the lab out, I can get the 9.x media with no issue. But, since HPOM 8.x for Unix is under self support, our HP Partner and vendor contacts can't seem to be able to sell it or make it available to us. 

HP's Obsolencse accouncement: 

http://support.openview.hp.com/encore/om_unix_8.x.jsp

HP Expert
Carlos_Pinto
Message 2 of 5 (365 Views)

Re: Availability of HP Operations Manager 8.x for Unix?

Hello,

Per obsolescence and migration notes at:

http://support.openview.hp.com/encore/om_unix_8.x.jsp

Its mentioned that:

Hewlett-Packard (HP) is announcing the version discontinuance of HP Operations Manager on Unix (OMU) 8.x products.  All OMU customers with an active support contract are entitled to upgrade to OMU 9.1x. HP is committed to providing the highest level of customer care to you while you determine your future strategy for your OMU products, and will provide support as indicated by the dates listed below.

So when its mentioned:

"My company recently took on a project where we need to support an integration for HPOM8-9. "

In this scenario you should use  the current supported versions of HP Operations Manager on Unix (its very important to respect this as you can see its not sold anymore version 8.X)

Feb 01, 2011    End of sale (no longer orderable or available for purchase)

Hope this information helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs.

Occasional Contributor
Craig C Lee
Message 3 of 5 (361 Views)

Carlos, 

Thanks you for the response! This will be helpful for working out the supported versions with my Product Management team. 

One final senario to consider. Nov 30, 2014  End of self-help support is this year. So it could be possible (howevery unlikely) that we run into a customer that is running HPOM8 for Unix in a self-help support senario.  What would you recommend for that? 

Thanks,

Craig

HP Expert
Christian Scotti
Message 4 of 5 (356 Views)

Hello Craig,

As you mention, the scenario of having a customer that still has OMU 8.x installed since a few years and that has not been able to upgrade yet to version 9.1 is possible.

What  is "Self-Help Support":

Self-Help Support is an integral component of all HP Software Support contracts. Self-Help Support
consists of web-based access to the online support Knowledge Base, which contains technical
information for HP Software products including white papers, existing patches and known problems
for a specific product version.

In summary it just means there's still access to product documentation, old patches and knowledge documents database but it would not cover opening incidents to the HP Software Support organization. It's not a good scenario to be in as you are basically "on your own".

I'd definitevely recommend  those customers upgrading to version 9.x as time allows as they will be covered in case problems appear and HPSW Support has to be engaged to help them out.

Best regards,

Christian

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please make sure to mark it as an accepted solution
HP Expert
Carlos_Pinto
Message 5 of 5 (353 Views)

Hello Craig,

Self support is what Christian Scotti  as mentioned above.

Please discuss with your manager and make sure only supported version are used because in case of any issues you know all the limitations involved.

Any customer with older version should also consider this update once it will only benefit on being in supported version.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Carlos Pinto

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. If you liked it I would appreciate KUDOs.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.