Adding an 'alias' for a node (49 Views)
Respected Contributor
Marco Shaw_1
Message 1 of 5 (49 Views)
Accepted Solution

Adding an 'alias' for a node

OVOU 8.22

I've got a third party product that sends SNMP traps to our NNM/OVO server. When the agents were licensed, an IP was used (that resolved to a particular hostname).

Since then, we've made some changes to the interface we use to monitor some of these multi-NIC servers.

What we have now is that NNM and OVO are configured to monitor server X with the IP/FQDN serverINT0.domain.com. Unfortunately, some agents were licensed using IP/FQDN serverINT1.domain.com. So traps coming to NNM have serverINT1.domain.com embedded in the SNMP trap data. The NNM alarm browser shows the embedded serverINT1.domain.com node name.

But since OVO is looking for serverINT0.domain.com, when the trap comes from NNM to OVO, it drops the trap because it doesn't have a matching node name.

Is there a fix? Do I create something like a virtual node for serverINT1.domain.com, and make serverINT0.domain.com a 'member'?

Worst case, I ask the admins to re-license their software using the proper IP, if that's still possible...

Honored Contributor
Sukru ARSLAN_1
Message 2 of 5 (49 Views)

Re: Adding an 'alias' for a node

You can set second alias name for the nodes in OVOW

I think OVOU also has the same feature.
Republic of FENERBAHCE
Respected Contributor
Marco Shaw_1
Message 3 of 5 (49 Views)

I can't seem to find it in the Motif GUI anywhere on my OVOU server...
Honored Contributor
Himanshu Chawla
Message 4 of 5 (49 Views)

Marco,

You should add an "External Node" in OVOU and assign it an IP Name serverINT1.domain.com, make sure to put it in a Node group also. That should allow the messages to come in.

Himanshu.
Respected Contributor
Marco Shaw_1
Message 5 of 5 (49 Views)

I ended up being able to fix the SNMP client to use the proper IP address. No virutal node alias required...
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.