Wiping data from redundant machine (274 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Kathleen Robinson
Message 1 of 8 (274 Views)

Wiping data from redundant machine

Hello
Our N class 3000 is only used as an archive now, and we will soon be disposing of it. Now I know I can purge accounts etc, but is there a tool that will wipe off all our data?
Thank you
Respected Contributor
Stan Sieler
Message 2 of 8 (274 Views)

Re: Wiping data from redundant machine

Hi,

VOLUTIL : FORMATVOL can be used to erase
some disks, but not all ... and it's slow
and not up to HIPAA or DoD standards.

Stan Sieler
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 3 of 8 (274 Views)

Kathleen,

Depending on what type of disks you have, a two by four to the disk works really well and breaks the disk. A high spped drill through the mech works too.

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Occasional Advisor
Kathleen Robinson
Message 4 of 8 (274 Views)

Thank you both for your replies.

I'm tempted by Chuck's idea but we hold the old 3000 in high esteem and would be loth to harm it!

Kathleen
Occasional Advisor
Mr Simon Murray
Message 5 of 8 (274 Views)

Kathleen,

I was a tad sentimental about my old N-Class but dropping it out of the second floor bay doors into a skip waiting below cured me! It made a great sound.

:-)

regards

Simon Murray
Occasional Contributor
John Mandell_1
Message 6 of 8 (274 Views)

Hey, Some of us will be homesteading the HP300. I tried unsuccessfully to budget a transition to an other O/S. The management, only said find some one else that will provide support when HP will no longer. So, DO NOT trash good equipment because there is still a market for it.
Respected Contributor
Stan Sieler
Message 7 of 8 (274 Views)

John writes:
"[...] The management, only said find some one else that will provide support when HP will no longer. So, DO NOT trash good equipment because there is still a market for it."

Several firms, including ours, provide
support for the HP 3000, now and in the future.

One of our clients has nearly two THOUSAND users logged on to their HP 3000 ... try doing that with almost any other computer!

Stan
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 8 of 8 (274 Views)

kathleen,

As Stan has said, there are companies, like Allegro, who are going to be supporting the HP3000 for years to come. As a member of the Board of Directors for OpenMPE, I am aware that there are quite a few companirs doing support as well for both hardware and software. For other sources, of information, I sugggest you look at the HP3000-L listserver ot the OpenMPE website.

Please do not take the ultimate sacrifice of the disk as others may want to buy it from you.

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.