Unknown turn off of HP3000 (193 Views)
Advisor
alerikauro
Message 1 of 7 (193 Views)

Unknown turn off of HP3000

Hi,
my 997 server with mpe 6.5 turns off without reason and no warning or error messages displayed. It happens after about 30 minutes it's turned on. I've got some doubt if it could be an hardware or software problem because the last time there was an error message regarding an application running on the system just before it turned off. Do you have some tips
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Dan Clifford
Message 2 of 7 (193 Views)

Re: Unknown turn off of HP3000

When you say your system "turns off" do you mean it shuts down? Do you have to reboot to get the system back up again?

Are there any messages on the console?

Dan
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Glenn A. Mitchell
Message 3 of 7 (193 Views)

Check the system logs to see what activity is going on when it shuts down. You might see some activity there that would give you a clue.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
alerikauro
Message 4 of 7 (193 Views)

well, it doesn't give any message in log files. Regarding the turn off, it looks like a real one because the leds signaling the processors activity get lightless and the prompt line of the monitor gives some "dirt" characters which, by experience, mean that the system went down, even though the discs storage and the rack are still on.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
alerikauro
Message 5 of 7 (193 Views)

In addition to my reply the only messages that are on the console regard some software routine (mwpnrx) which gives this error: "Err n -114"
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Stan Sieler
Message 6 of 7 (193 Views)

A cut/paste of the error "-114" might provide
a bit more information to us.

Here are some -114 errors:

[#1] NO JOB PROCESS COUNT TABLE ENTRY AVAILABLE FOR #J. JOB WAITING.

[#8] VOLUME SET NOT DISMOUNTED - DISMOUNT PROBLEM (FSERR 114)

[#15] TRACK IN RESERVED AREA - MUST REFORMAT PACK (PVERR 114)

[#30] LABELED VOLUME MOUNTED FOR UNLABELLED STORE ON LDEV .

[#35] NMEV#100@218 CREATION OF SYSTEM CI "" FAILED FOR ON LDEV #\. (js 114)

[#44] FAILED TO OBTAIN THE SYSTEM PLABEL TABLE POINTER. (LDRERR 114)

[#98/ SYSTEM ABORT] The procedure INIT_NONRES_PORT_FACILITY failed to initialize the nonresident
port facility.

[#104/ Native mode loader] Unable to obtain the system PLABEL TABLE pointer. (LDRERR 114)

[#128/ Terminal IO] NMEV#100@234 SNP card tracing aborted for DTC address

[#143/ File System] The lockword specified did not start with an alphabetic character.
(FILE SYSTEM ERROR -114)

[#158/ Break handling] The Job Max Pri returned from JSINFO was unexpected.

[#516/ Architected Interfaces] Unsupported procedure.

[#520/ POSIX System V IPC] Could not allocate SVIPC shared memory (SVIPCERR 114)

However, with the possible exception of the one for the file system (subsystem #143 above), none look like interesting candidates to be your -114, I think.

Will a control-B at the console elicit any response?

Does it truly look like the CPU chassis
has been powered off?

Stan
sieler@allegro.com
Please use plain text.
Advisor
alerikauro
Message 7 of 7 (193 Views)

Sorry, the err number provided is one of the running routine so it's meaningless for the system (even though it says that there's a reading error on some file).
Regarding the cntrl-b pression I don't receive any response by the console and I need to force the reboot by unplugging and plugging the power supply. Yes it seems that system ir really down.
Anyway now it's more than 24 hours that the server is running! Thank for your responses
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation