Re: SAN numbering - VMS 7.3-2 - Any restrictions for MSCP served SAN disks ? (289 Views)
Occasional Contributor
TechM-VMS
Message 1 of 3 (312 Views)

SAN numbering - VMS 7.3-2 - Any restrictions for MSCP served SAN disks ?

Hi,

We are upgrading a storage array and the storage team are wanting to present a SAN device to the VMS system that will have 5 digits as in $1$DGAYYYYY (all others are currently 4, as in $1$DGAXXXX)

The SAN disks are MSCP served to other members in the cluster so I wanted to double check that using a 5 digit SAN disk number will not cause issues because I found this burrried in a Google search

Quote:

OpenVMS recognizes identifiers in the range 0-32767
(caution using 0, if an option, as it is not available on all storage controllers )

MSCP no longer limited to devices named 0-9999
− Restriction removed via Driver ECO kits for VMS V8.2, V8.2-1 & V8.3

Link: http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.connect-community.org/resource/resmgr/2011_boot_camp_presos/2011_vms_bo...

This mentions the restriction for MSCP served devices and a range of 0 - 9999 was lifted for 8.2+, but makes no mention of any restriction being lifted for 7.3-2, hence this post to ask the knowledgeable one's out there in OpenVMS land :-)

So, is it ok to use 5 digit number for a VMS disk that will be MSCP served on VMS 7.3-2 (i.e. something like $1$DGA10698)

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
MarkOfAus
Message 2 of 3 (300 Views)

Re: SAN numbering - VMS 7.3-2 - Any restrictions for MSCP served SAN disks ?

[ Edited ]

Correct.

Page 7-19 of the cluster guidelines 7.3-2:

"

Can be any decimal number from 0 to 32766, except for MSCP served devices.

If the FC disk device is MSCP served, the device identifier is limited to 9999.
This restriction will be removed in a future release.

"

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
TechM-VMS
Message 3 of 3 (289 Views)

Re: SAN numbering - VMS 7.3-2 - Any restrictions for MSCP served SAN disks ?

Thanks MarkOfAus for the confirmation - much appreciated

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation