Refreshing data on newly upgraded MPE hardware (232 Views)
Regular Advisor
Mark Bly
Message 1 of 5 (232 Views)

Refreshing data on newly upgraded MPE hardware

The situation is as follows:

We are trying to move our old MPE 7.5 system running on a 928 onto an A400.

HP helped us to load our system onto the A400 using a CSLT created on the 928 and carrying out LOTS of reconfiguration work.

After this we restored the weekly backup from the 928 onto the new system.

I have been carrying out some testing on our third party software and I am now ready to test the new server in the live environment.
Unfortunately the data that HP restored for us is now over 3 weeks old.

My problem is that I want to restore from a new weekly tape taken from the existing system (928) and update the data on the new system (A400) for user acceptance testing (and hopefully turning the old system off)

We are only using MPE Store on this system and I am afraid that I will overwrite some of the changes that needed to be made to get us running on the new hardware.

The KEEP option available with STORE will not overwrite a user file that has been updated so will not refresh my data. I believe that it does not compare the date of the file but just the file name.

Does anyone know what files I can exclude from the restore so that I only update the user, database and non system files. I want to be sure that the data is updated without ruining all of the new configuration work needed to get the server running on the A400 hardware.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

Remember to think before you react................but always make sure there is still time to react
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 2 of 5 (232 Views)

Re: Refreshing data on newly upgraded MPE hardware

Mark,

Is the user data on application/user volume sets? Please let us know.

You can always set up the restore process to re-store @.@.@-@.@.sys-@.@.telesup-@.@.(third-party-list of software). An option to a single restore command would be to set up a batch job to do the restore on an account by account basis.

If you are using user-volumes, there may be another way...

AS you said, once you say ;keep, user files will not be over-written,

HTH,

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Regular Advisor
Mark Bly
Message 3 of 5 (232 Views)

Chuck,

We do not use user_volumes on this particular server.

I will exclude the groups from the restore as you have suggested. (I didn't think of the third party accounts - I would have lost my license file changes as well!)

Just to be on the safe side I will cut a new CSLT on the A400. Hopefully this will capture all of the changes that HP had to make.

Thanks for your help.

Mark
Remember to think before you react................but always make sure there is still time to react
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 4 of 5 (232 Views)

Mark,

The CSLT will preserve your hardware and network configuration files. I would also suggest that you review the list of O/S files and drivers stored on the CSLT. I highly recommend adding files like EDITOR.PUB.SYS and the STORXL##.PUB.SYS files to your CSLT as 'SYSTEM' program files in SYSGEN. Since you are not using 'USER Volumes', you don't have to worry about adding the directories.

The STORXL## files are only necessary if you do parallel backups with HP's TurboStore product. Having them on the CSLT will help in a 'disaster recovery' mode.

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Regular Advisor
Mark Bly
Message 5 of 5 (232 Views)

Closing old thread.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.