EMC on HP 3000 with MPEXL volume set (394 Views)
Frequent Advisor
j kubler
Message 1 of 8 (394 Views)
Accepted Solution

EMC on HP 3000 with MPEXL volume set

Can the MPEXL volume set be placed directly on an EMC disk device? I have seen it sitting on a nike disk array with the storage on the EMC, but wondered if it could be put directly on the EMC on an HP 3000.
Honored Contributor
Kwan Fong, Emile
Message 2 of 8 (394 Views)

Re: EMC on HP 3000 with MPEXL volume set

Hello Jeff,

Sure you can; EMC can host system volume set as well as the Nike, VAs, 12H Discs Array Enclosure.
King is the customer!
Frequent Advisor
j kubler
Message 3 of 8 (394 Views)

Has this always been the case?? Or is it only possible after a certain level of the operating system?
I have seen a number of cases where the data is on the EMC but the MPE volume set is on a nike array.
Frequent Advisor
Donna Garverick
Message 4 of 8 (394 Views)

i don't recall any specific OS release being a requirement.

i'll throw out a thought....in *nix-land, it can be problematic to control the order of what devices get recognized when upon reboot. since internal devices are going to be seen before external...there is a strong tendency for disc containing the OS to be internal.

with that being a prevailing thought, it's easy to see where confusion may enter mpe-land.

- d
Respected Contributor
Stan Sieler
Message 5 of 8 (394 Views)

RE:
internal disks, MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET, and EMC.

The reason internal disks seemed to be seen
first is that they're usually at a higher SCSI ID than external devices on the same
chain ... and the higher number IDs have higher priority (for 0..7). (E.g., the internal disk drive
is usually SCSI ID 6 (with the controller being 7).

For F/W SCSI, the priority order is:
7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 , 0, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8.

I usually recommend against putting MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET on an EMC, or any RAID, mostly because that usually implies that the user is over-relying on MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET and not utilizing
user volumes. If a system has all user data on several user volume sets, they're better
protected against the failure of a single
volume. Additionally, if a disk in MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET fails, there are then fewer disks requiring reload (just the ones in MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET).

Hence, I try to somewhat minimize the number
of disks in MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET.
Honored Contributor
Kwan Fong, Emile
Message 6 of 8 (394 Views)

Hello Jeff,

EMC drives are supported on MPE/iX since OS release 5.0 so it's been a while now. The EMC Disc Array, like any other Arrays (12H, VAs, XP, NIKE), provides better disc failure protection with RAID technique than a simple JBOD / internal disc.

During server bootup, the PDC or GSP looks for the primary boot path if the primary boot is selected. With that being said, I don't believe internal disc will have priority over external disc.

Stan's statement about the SCSI addresses priority is accurate. If the EMC discs SCSI card is configured with the high SCSI addresses (6, 5, 4, etc), I don't see any reason why the EMC drives won't get serviced first.

If there are a lot of LUNs or discs configuration, and I do agree with Stan, it is always recommended to have separate user volume sets to host users datas leaving the system volume set for system, 3rd party software, spool files.
King is the customer!
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 7 of 8 (394 Views)

Jeff,

One of my former employers has a 989/650 running solely on an emc array. Now they are contemplating moving to an an XP array.

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Respected Contributor
Stan Sieler
Message 8 of 8 (394 Views)

Hi Jeff,
Don't forget to assign points :)
thanks,
Stan
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.