Re: Big Brother for MPE (198 Views)
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 1 of 3 (198 Views)

Big Brother for MPE

To all,

Does nyone know if there is a 'Big Brother' client for MPE?

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Honored Contributor
Kwan Fong, Emile
Message 2 of 3 (198 Views)

Re: Big Brother for MPE

Hello Chuck,

Are you referring to the tool which monitors systems and network activities? The BigBrother software by Quest Software?

If so, based on information found at http://www.quest.com/bigbrother/release_information.aspx, it appears only Unix and Windows clients are supported on the following operating systems:

Red Hat Enterprise Server 3.0/4.0
SUSE Enterprise Linux 9.0/10.0
Sun Solaris 6 or greater
HP-UX 11.0 or 11i
AIX 5.1, 5.2 or 5.3
Windows 2000 Server or Professional
Windows 2003 Server
Windows XP
King is the customer!
Respected Contributor
Chris Bartram
Message 3 of 3 (198 Views)

Re: Big Brother for MPE

Chuck,
At a quick glance, BB doesn't look like much more than a dozen other similar network monitoring tools, and perhaps not as comprehensive as many.
Status checking by ICMP/PINGing is common to most; I don't see any reference to SNMP polling or alarm parsing in the BB docs I glanced at. SNMP is an easy option for some extended status reporting on a 3000; I use it to allow some extended status info (interface status, disc space queries, etc) from HP OpenView NNM. I also once created a command file on the 3000 that could be called to send an SNMP trap to the NNM systems to trigger a critical application-level alert.
Is there something in particular you want your 3000 to be able to respond to/send info about?
-Chris B
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.