wtmp corrupted (368 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Damian Benavent Pla
Message 1 of 5 (368 Views)
Accepted Solution

wtmp corrupted

When my /var is full, I release disk space but /var/adm/wtmp files remains corrupted (/usr/bin/last command dumps a core).

I used wtmpfix but /usr/bin/last dumps on.

I move wtmp to wtmp.old and create a new wtmp to log new logins. But wtmp.old is still corrupted.

How to proceed to solve the wtmp corruption ?
Occasional Advisor
Hakan Dedorson
Message 2 of 5 (368 Views)

Re: wtmp corrupted

Try moving it back from wtmp.old to wtmp (removing the version you created) and flush it with "cat /dev/null > /var/adm/wtmp"
Honored Contributor
federico_3
Message 3 of 5 (368 Views)

to read wtmp file, that now seems to be corrupted ,do like this:

the following will convert it to ASCII file
#/usr/sbin/acct/fwtmp < /var/adm/wtmp > /tmp/file
then you can either edit the file or read it.

Then you can convert it back to binary form:
##/usr/sbin/acct/fwtmp -ic < /tmp/file > /var/adm/wtmp

Bye
federico

Honored Contributor
Bill Hassell
Message 4 of 5 (368 Views)

Just a note about wtmp. It can become corrupted if /var fills up or by programs that write to wtmp improperly. First, I would lookk at how your system is used and consider breaking up /var into several different mountpoints. Each mountpoint will be used by a different subsystem of HP-UX and by separating them, one subsystem will not affect another (for example, spooling problems no longer affect email or logging):

/var
/var/tmp
/var/mail
/var/spool
/var/adm
/var/adm/sw

If you do not use email heavily, then the /var/mail directory can be a part of /var. Similarly, if spooling os limited to a few printers and not used for PC shares (where spool files can become gigantic), spooling can also be part of /var. /var/adm/sw should always be made separate as it will grow quite large with patches and application updates.
Occasional Contributor
Damian Benavent Pla
Message 5 of 5 (368 Views)

Hakan and Bill: My problem is how to recover that lost information.

Thank you Federico. I knew that procedure.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.