Re: read an ISO format file? (90 Views)
Advisor
Russ Jones_1
Message 1 of 6 (90 Views)
Accepted Solution

read an ISO format file?

I have a file that's in (they say) ISO format. It's not on a CD, it's just a file on disc somewhere. Does anyone know how to read it? I'm on HPUX 11.11.

Thanks ever so much

Russ Jones
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Michael Duthie
Message 2 of 6 (90 Views)

Re: read an ISO format file?

Russ,

An ISO file to my knowledge is a CD image file. Using CD burning s/w Nero, Roxio etc, you burn this image file to a CD. Then creating a readable CD. Its used alot in the Linux world for creating OS CDs

Mike
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rodney Hills
Message 3 of 6 (90 Views)

ISO (international standards organization) defines many layouts. Date/Time formats, CD formats. If this file is large but less than 660megbytes, then it could be an ISO CD image.

Many CD burner softwares are able to burn a CD from just such a file. After the CD is burned, then the contents may be either Joliet (MS-Windows) or Rock-Ridge (rest of the world).

HTH

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Bill Douglass
Message 4 of 6 (90 Views)

I haven't see an option in hp-ux, but in RH Linux 7.3 you can do:

mount -o loop /path/to/isofile /path/to/mountpoint

The -o loop option tell the ysstem that you are mounting a filesystem image from a file, instead of mounting from a device file.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Message 5 of 6 (90 Views)

ISO images can be verified/read/extracted without having them on CD using CDrecord tools.

These are available for free on recent application software CD's. I don't have 11i installed here, so I cannot give you the product number for 11i.

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html for it's home

Enjoy, have FUN! H.Merijn
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Russ Jones_1
Message 6 of 6 (90 Views)

Thanks everyone. Once we got the file pulled down from where it originated, we just ran it through Easy CD on a PC and a readable CD with the data we expected came out the other end.

I appreciate everyone's help. Dang you guys are fast!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation