Re: inetd logs & syslogs (122 Views)
Advisor
abhishekjain_48
Message 1 of 4 (203 Views)

inetd logs & syslogs

Hi ,

I have enabled the syslog and inetd logs on my hp-ux box and now i am continously seeing messages like:

inetd[9951]: mount cdrom/tcp: Connection from xxxxxx (xxx.xx.x.xx) at Thu Oct 18 11:22:02 2012

or

inetd[2150]: mount cdrom/tcp: Added service, server <some_directory_location>

Can any one suggest what does it means?

Regards

AbhishekJ

Advisor
abhishekjain_48
Message 2 of 4 (143 Views)

Re: inetd logs & syslogs

i found mount_cdrom is a file/script and also  I just found the following entry in /etc/inetd.conf

"mount_cdrom stream tcp nowait root <location of mount_cdrom script> mount_cdrom"

so question is  does mount_cdrom is runnig as a service/daemon on my box  as below logs meesages are the inetd logs

and the mount_cdrom entry in inetd.comf seems to be originator....????

Regards

AbhishekJ

Honored Contributor
Bill Hassell
Message 3 of 4 (126 Views)

Putting a script into inetd.conf (which typically manages network daemons) is a bad modification. Yes, the error messages are created by inetd. Comment or remove the line in /etc/inetd.conf and then run: inetd -c to get rid of the error. Mounting a cdrom should not be done with inetd.

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 4 (122 Views)

>Mounting a cdrom should not be done with inetd.

Right.  Why not put it into /etc/fstab?

Or later in some other rm(1m) script.  But still have an entry in fstab with noauto.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.