08-08-2009 04:12 AM
I just started to install and use Red Hat 5.3 and I'm running into a problem. Whenever I run a X11 app that's piped to my Windows XP PC via X11 tunneling it aborts with Segmentation Fault. When I run the same app on a RHEL4 it runs fine.
I suspect the problem lies with the Xwindows emulator that I'm using. It's very old software called eXcursion. What I want to do is try a different emulator. Can anyone recommend one to try?
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-08-2009 01:46 PM
The X11 libraries required for X11 connection at the application end are pretty mature by now. I would expect that any bugs of this magnitude would have been found and fixed long ago. But everything is possible, I guess.
If you wish to try a newer Xwindows emulator, I've been successfully using Xming:
If your application (the exact same binary) runs fine unmodified on RHEL4, it is possible that the newer libraries on RHEL 5.3 are causing it some trouble. Recompiling the application on RHEL 5.3 might help, if you have the source code.
If that is not possible, you might use "ldd
Because the old libraries have known bugs, you might wish to try and minimize the amount of old libraries used by your application. If the program runs successfully with the full set of old libraries, start removing the old libs one by one and see when the problem reappears.
When you have found the minimal set of old libraries that allows the program to run, you have a good workaround, and you can make a very informative bug report to the application developers.
08-13-2009 04:47 AM
Thanks for the information. What I did was download and install Xming. The app.s work with that fine although a little sluggish. It does seem that eXcursion was just too old.