Re: Print information (47 Views)
Occasional Visitor
tvd-hp
Message 1 of 5 (47 Views)
Accepted Solution

Print information

I have read forum topics but I did not find the information I am looking for. A search on the net didn't help me out either.

What I am looking for is where the information about remote print queues is stored. Specifically the remote address. I know I can get the information using lpmgr/lpstat/SAM/... But I would like to know where on the system this information is stored. The specific file that is. I have no idea why this information cannot be found anywhere (easily, though I've bee looking for quite a while). I appreciate your help!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jose Mosquera
Message 2 of 5 (47 Views)

Re: Print information

Hi,

Please go at "Printer" theme (Table of Contents page 64) inside of HP-UX System Administrator's Guide:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02281492/c02281492.pdf

I hope it's useful

Rgds.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tvd-hp
Message 3 of 5 (47 Views)

Hi Jose Mosquera, thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, it doesnt't help. The "Administrators Guide: Overview" just points to the "Administrators Guide: Configuration" and that just explains how to add/remove remote printers using SAM/lpadmin, along with some other commands thrown in. It doesn't say which files are used or where the information is stored.

I would really like to find this information on the system. During my search I came across other people who were looking for the same info. On AIX the info can be found in /etc/qconfig. I find it hard to imagine that HP hides this info so well that, until now, I found nobody who knows where it is, hehe.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bill Hassell
Message 4 of 5 (47 Views)

The file is called /var/spool/lp/pstatus. However, it is a binary file so this is about all you can see:

strings /var/spool/lp/pstatus

You'll need sam to decode it. Remote printers could be setup as an IP address or as a hostname. Network printers are setup differently but will also have an IP or hostname.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tvd-hp
Message 5 of 5 (47 Views)

Hi Bill

thank you for the information. That file does seem to hold the information. Too bad that it's a binary, but at least now I know where the information is stored and I can put this to rest. I awarded you all points, as this is a pretty straightforward answer.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation