Device Mapper Blacklist (175 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Simon_G
Message 1 of 2 (175 Views)

Device Mapper Blacklist

I am trying something with Powerpath and Device Mapper and What would be the best way to blacklist the EMC symmetrix from Device Mapper? I just want the Device mapper to ignore all the EMC disks. What would be the best way to acheive this? Also i want to whitelist all HP XP devices so i will powermt unmanage the HP xp and need them whitlisted in Device Mapper. Environment Rhel5.8. I know there are issues with Native multipathing co-existing with Powerpath, but please share your experiences.

G Simon

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Matti_Kurkela
Message 2 of 2 (146 Views)

Re: Device Mapper Blacklist

In Linux, Device Mapper is a generic subsystem that provides many kinds of storage management functionality, including:

• multipathing
  • software RAID
  • disk and partition encryption
  • LVM

With "dmsetup ls --tree", you can see all the things Device Mapper is currently doing on your system.

I guess that you're thinking about device-mapper-multipath (dm-multipath for short). In that case, the blacklisting functionality exists in /etc/multipath.conf. You could specify something like this in the blacklist section:

blacklist {
        device {
                vendor "EMC"
                product "SYMMETRIX"
        }
        # put here any other blacklist entries you may want to have
}

You can even put in vendor "EMC" and product ".*" (the regular expression for "any string at all") if you want to exclude all EMC disks.

To whitelist something, either remove the existing blacklist entry for it, or add a "blacklist_exceptions" section with appropriate entries.

Since dm-multipath has quite a lot of compiled-in defaults, you may need this command to review the currently running configuration in complete form:

echo "show config" | multipathd -k | less

If you really need to blacklist some devices from LVM, then the "filter" keyword in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf can do that.

I have no experience in mixing PowerPath with dm-multipath, but I think the dm-multipath configuration syntax can easily handle your requirements.

MK
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation