Import / Export for Record Types (344 Views)
Honored Contributor
TRIMGuru
Message 1 of 3 (344 Views)

Import / Export for Record Types

It would be GREAT to have the ability to export record types from one dataset (say development or test) and then import them into a production dataset. 

For a true development/test/production environment, we simply cannot just copy the datasets to Production once it makes it through Test and it's approved. 

I suspect there may be ramifications that I am unaware of that may prevent this type of enhancement, but thought I'd put it out there (again).

At a minimum, please allow the Exporting of the Record Type configurations and System Options, so we can use that for documenting an "as built" TRIM configuration.

Frequent Advisor
Tones
Message 2 of 3 (343 Views)

Re: Import / Export for Record Types

TRIMGuru,

I would welcome such an enhancement. It is amazing how often little things are missed or mistyped when creating a record type in Production from a tested version in a Development or Test environment. I would assume there are issues with access controls and record numbering patterns etc unless all datasets are identical (same locations, same configuration options etc).

Frequent Advisor
Sandy Ewart
Message 3 of 3 (343 Views)

Re: Import / Export for Record Types

I would agree whole heartedly :smileyhappy:

It is an issue where you have to manully re-enter record type - open to errors (just human nature!).

I guess it becomes complictaed trying to tie together all the different elements - numbering, additional fields , lookup sets, etc. , but would definately be a worthwhile enhancement.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.