CIM Extensions for Windows Server 2012 (415 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Cormac O'Reilly
Message 1 of 7 (415 Views)
Accepted Solution

CIM Extensions for Windows Server 2012

Hi,

just wondering if Windows Server 2012 is supported on SE version 9.5 and if so do you know where i could get the CIM extension for it?

thanks

Cormac

Please use plain text.
Advisor
anthony bento
Message 2 of 7 (407 Views)

Re: CIM Extensions for Windows Server 2012

Hello,

Windows2012 is not currently supported with Strorage Essentials. Only the following Windows platforms.

I am attaching the most recent Support Matrix which will show what is supported.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
JanneK
Message 3 of 7 (400 Views)

Hi,

What is the roadmap for SE? When will it support Windows 2012?
SE is one of tool´s in our customer OS image and we´re planning for next image based on Windows 2012 soon.

Br

Jan

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
WileyThrasher
Message 4 of 7 (392 Views)

My suggestion would be to log an enhancement request via the SSO portal to aid product management in prioritization for adding support for Win2K12 as a managed host, any specifics provided would help, such as if there are key integrations or application support in conjunction with host discovery.

http://support.openview.hp.com/enhancement/do/main

Wiley Thrasher
Storage Management Expert
HP Storage TCE and Quality Tiger Team
WW L3 Pre-sales Support
Hewlett-Packard Company
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Cormac O'Reilly
Message 5 of 7 (349 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Wiley,

Any update on this? we are rolling out more and more 2012 servers that are going unmonitored

Thanks

Cormac

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
WileyThrasher
Message 6 of 7 (344 Views)

Hi Cormac,

Formal qualification for support of Windows 2012 has not yet been completed at this time.

However I have heard that "field tests" have shown that the SE 9.5.1 CIM Extension appears to install properly if you select the installer, right-click for the properties tab, and set Compatibility mode: Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7. Subsequent SE Discovery and Data Collection is successful, and it appears the expected host details are returned without issue - so you may want to give this a test in your environment if you are comfortable with running an unsupported configuration for now.

I've not heard if the WMI-based agent-less discovery we have been enhancing over the past few releases works for Windows 2012, but that might also be worth testing in your environment. Note that the agent-less discovery does require use of a domain\administrator account with WMI privledge, and installation of Microsoft's FC-Info (which is not supported by Microsoft other than with Windows 2003... but works fine "unsupported" on Windows 2008) to provide FC HBA details.

Wiley Thrasher
WW L3 Pre-sales Support
Hewlett-Packard Company
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
WileyThrasher
Message 7 of 7 (294 Views)

As a follow-up note, I've also discovered Win2K12 hosts via the agentless (WMI) based method in SE 9.6 - no special tricks needed, and all seems to report as I would expect with details, host metrics, HBA paths, etc. As with the CIM Extension based approach, this is not yet formally qualified - so would remain unsupported.

Wiley Thrasher
WW L3 Pre-sales Support
Hewlett-Packard Company
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation