Re: HP 8/40 B Series ISL / Architecture (278 Views)
Honored Contributor
andre80
Message 1 of 7 (280 Views)

HP 8/40 B Series ISL / Architecture

Good Day

I've got two question where i havent found the required information in san design reference guide nor on the brocade homepage. Hope someone here can help:

- How many Ports can be used for ISL's on a 8/40 Swich? I have found the information that max 8 ports can be trunked for an isl.. but im not interestet in trunking....  We think about to connect 5 switches to the 8/40 Core switch with 2 isl each... so is it possible to use 10 ports for isl?

- How is the architecture in this switch (asics). we have 5 port "groups" witch each 8 Ports on this swich. Are all those Port groups connected to the same Processor ? -> does it make sense to add two ils in each 8 port -group or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance

Andre

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Ivan Lyanguzov
Message 2 of 7 (278 Views)

Re: HP 8/40 B Series ISL / Architecture

Andre,

There is no limit on E_Port count, you can use all ports of the switch for ISLs.

In 8/40 switch there is one ASIC.

If your do not use trunking, there is no difference on where you connect your ISLs.

Ivan.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
andre80
Message 3 of 7 (276 Views)

hi ivan

many thanks for your fast reply... so all ports are identical... it does not mather where i connect the isl or the device ports... so there is no chance that port group 1 does fail and the other portgroups do work...?

thanks

andre

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Ivan Lyanguzov
Message 4 of 7 (274 Views)

Andre,

Actually, there is minor difference: ports are physically wired to groups metal grids (sorry, don't know how to translate). So if you plug and unplug ports often, you theoretically can break this metal grid. However, I would not consider this as point of failure.

Ivan.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
andre80
Message 5 of 7 (272 Views)

hi ivan

thanks again... so it is only a "physical" problem... not an electronical one?

regards

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Ivan Lyanguzov
Message 6 of 7 (270 Views)

Andre,

No, as I said, there is only one ASIC, so electronically all ports are equivalent.

Ivan.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
andre80
Message 7 of 7 (267 Views)

everyhting clear now ;-) thanks for your fast reply

have a good day

regards

andre

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation