HP EVA storageworks M5314 (314 Views)
Occasional Contributor
callumd
Message 1 of 6 (314 Views)

HP EVA storageworks M5314

Hello people, this is my first post and I am not very good with storage arrays or SAN. I recently purchased an HP storageworks storage array, part # 344819-b21. It is a 14 bay storage enclosure, i have populated 8 fibre channel 146gb hard drives. Rest of the bays are empty. It is a preowned unit so the only other thing i got is a 2 prong cable. I have connected that cable from EVA to my rack server's fibre channel card. The setup does not seem to work. I dont have HP EVA command view 4 and it looks like version 4 is not available anymore. I tried version 4.1 but the setup asked for EVA command view 4. Where can i get version 4. Second question, will my setup work? Do i need any other kind of cable or device? I have fibre channel card in EVA and in server. How can i see the drives in my server OS? I am running server 2008 R2.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Johan Guldmyr
Message 2 of 6 (292 Views)

Re: HP EVA storageworks M5314

Hi, 

do you also have controllers EVA3000/5000 or only the M5314?

Click the Kudos Star if this was a good post.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
callumd
Message 3 of 6 (284 Views)

Only M5314 with FC card & 8 FC hard drives. I didn't get any other controllers. The server has Emulex FC card. Should I be getting anything else from the seller?

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Torsten.
Message 4 of 6 (276 Views)

You don't have an EVA, you just have a single disk shelf. You need the EVA controllers and depending of model interanl switches too.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! star in the left column!   
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
callumd
Message 5 of 6 (202 Views)

Thanks Torsten, so essentially I need EVA and switches to make it a SAN, understood. What best can I make out of what I have? The storage encolusre HP StorageWorks M5314 FC Drive Enclosure shows all the disks as locally attached in disk management console. I can see all the disks, obviously cant create LUN because I dont have administration software for it. The FC cards are from QLogic & the OS is server 2012. 

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Torsten.
Message 6 of 6 (195 Views)

>> I can see all the disks, obviously cant create LUN because I dont have administration software for it.

You just have disks, but you need array controllers to create a LUN.

Maybe you can create a kind of software RAID (e.g. LVM) on the disks. There are a couple of related threads in the forum.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! star in the left column!   
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation